Skydio is the leading US drone manufacturer and world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders.
About the role:
Autonomous systems are a new breed of products that brings together electronics hardware and real-time AI software. The complexity of the systems combined with the fact they can move freely in the real world makes the development and validation strategy a key element of delivering a great product.
We are seeking a driven and versatile mechanical simulation & test engineer to help accelerate robust product development through multi-physics simulation & analysis for state-of-the-art autonomous flying machines servicing a broad range of consumer and enterprise use cases.
How you'll make an impact:
- Work with product development teams to identify key risk areas where simulation can have a big impact; from proof of concept through product optimization for complex electro-mechanical autonomous systems
- Execute qualitative and quantitative analyses to guide design decisions with full understanding of the tradespace
- Dive in with hands-on lab experiments to refine boundary condition assumptions and collect the empirical data required to improve model correlation
- Establish simulation and analysis as a core competency within the hardware development cycle through technical expertise and strong communication skills
- Ensure a common understanding of what questions a given simulation answers, and what the limitations are
- Participate in design reviews and provide key design for reliability inputs to mitigate risks before first prototypes are built
- At least 3 years professional experience with an industry-standard multi-physics simulation toolset (e.g. ANSYS, COMSOL, Simscale) and CAD package (CATIA preferred)
- Deep intuition for and at least 2 years of experience creating thermal models incorporating all forms of heat transfer to drive design iteration
- Familiarity with modal, dynamic, and static loading physics and simulation and a strong desire to take a multi-physics approach when necessary
- Experience developing boundary conditions through analytical and numerical methods when empirical data is not yet available
- Passionate about maximizing product integrity across all axes and diving in to apply first principles while solving complex problems
- Excellent project management, written & verbal communication and cross-functional teamwork skills
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.
For positions located in the United States of America, our company Skydio, Inc. uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit https://www.e-verify.gov/