Skydio is the leading US drone manufacturer and world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders.
About the role:
A part of the Camera Hardware Engineering Team, this person will focus on developing custom optical components (lens, filters, illuminators, diffusers) to optimize for overall camera module and system performance for our next generation drones.
This role involves collaboration with cross-functional teams including internal design teams and external contract manufacturers. He/she will have a good understanding of different aspects of camera design, manufacturing, and the ability to effectively communicate design decisions.
How you'll make an impact:
- Design best in class optical components (lenses, filters, light sources) and camera modules for our next generation drones.
- Work closely with our autonomy and product design teams to optimize optical design for system integration and performance and drive these designs from prototyping to mass production with contract manufacturers.
- Excellent learning and growth opportunity to join the new camera hardware engineering team developing multiple custom cameras and to have a significant impact on our future roadmap and across the entire drone industry.
What makes you a good fit:
- Experience in optical design tools such as ZEMAX / CodeV and LightTools.
- Expertise in lens and illumination system design, testing, and validation.
- Demonstrated understanding of imaging systems and opto-mechanical system assembly and packaging, tolerance analysis, stray light analysis.
- Ability to bring up extensive optical system simulations to drive cross-functional design decisions.
- Ability to perform comprehensive optical system performance characterization and failure analysis.
- Direct optical laboratory experience.
- Proficient in Matlab and/or Python programming.
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.
For positions located in the United States of America, our company Skydio, Inc. uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit https://www.e-verify.gov/