Skydio is the leading US drone manufacturer and world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders.
About the role:
Skydio builds incredibly complex flying robots, and our in-house manufacturing capability provides the high quality and rapid iteration we need. The Manufacturing Software team has developed a robust software system that models and tracks the manufacturing process, executes and observes tests on the assembly line, and ultimately ensures the quality and performance of each and every Skydio product made.
- We do it right - we use Python + Flask with Python type checking on the backend and React + TypeScript on the frontend, with Protobufs for IPC and RPC, all to ensure strong type-safety guarantees and stability across the stack.
- We work daily with embedded Linux systems, and use C++ for many of our on-vehicle, performance-sensitive subsystems.
- We are an agile team (lower case a) and operate on a 2 week sprint cadence. We use JIRA for task and release tracking, Slack for communication, and Notion for documentation and design collaboration.
As a member of the Manufacturing Software team, you’ll be a core contributor to turning prototypes into finished products at scale. You’ll help build tests and tools used by multiple teams every day to build state-of-the-art autonomous flying machines. And you’ll do it all with a great group of people.
How you'll make an impact:
- Consult with our customers in Manufacturing Ops to develop the next generation of our in-house manufacturing software services
- Work with Manufacturing, Hardware, and Software teams to develop manufacturing tests and ensure perfect shipping products
- Be a strong voice in improving the process and procedures of our team, to streamline work and support ambitious projects
- Learn the in's and out's of autonomous drones, and help guide engineering best-practices across the Software organization
What makes you a good fit:
- You're comfortable with the entire web service life cycle, including design, development, deployment, and monitoring
- You're willing to learn - most people have never worked on a flying autonomous robot, and you're comfortable tackling new domains to add to your capabilities
- You've got proven experience on an engineering team delivering on requirements - you're a clear communicator who understands how to gather and document requirements, write a proposal, and efficiently inform stakeholders on status
- You’re comfortable with the Linux operating system, including diagnosing services, reviewing logs, and wrangling device configurations
- You’ve got strong relational database experience, including data models and performance tuning
- You're an eager educator, ready to pass on your experience with both technical skills and organizational process
- You're a patient troubleshooter, comfortable asking for help when you need it, and giving help whenever you can
- You've got experience with and are comfortable with large code repositories and advanced build tools (Bazel experience a plus)
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, generic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.
For positions located in the United States of America, our company Skydio, Inc. uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit https://www.e-verify.gov/