Skydio is the leading US drone company and the world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders to insurance claims adjusters.
About the role:
We are seeking Summer 2023 (May/June) interns for our Hardware Test & Reliability Team!
Autonomous systems are a new breed of product that bring together electronics hardware and real-time AI software. The complexity of the systems combined with the fact they can move freely in the real world, makes the development and reliability testing strategy a key element of delivering a great product.
We are seeking a driven and cross-functional engineering intern to help the development and execution of test plans and testing infrastructure to enable rapid design iteration and robust product validation for state-of-the-art autonomous flying machines servicing a broad range of consumer and commercial use cases.
How you’ll make an impact:
- Own the design and implementation of hardware and software systems to execute comprehensive performance and reliability validation for products performing in a wide array of use cases
- Analyze data, calculate statistics, and carefully document results to explain trends and inform impactful design improvements
- Perform failure analysis to identify root cause and help develop process/design mitigations to resolve system issues, collaborating with mechanical, electrical, software, manufacturing, and quality engineering teams
- Participate in design reviews and provide key design for reliability inputs to mitigate risks at every stage of the product development lifecycle
What makes you a good fit:
- A sense of how to test, how not to test, and how to find vulnerabilities in processes and design
- A systematic approach to problem solving, and a knack for rapidly identifying issues within electro-mechanical systems; strong desire to drive failure analyses to true root cause
- Enthusiastic tendencies toward diving in and applying first principles to engineer creative solutions to complex problems
- Experience with Python or other programming languages for test automation, data analysis and visualization
- Strong desire to learn and contribute across multiple domains within a dynamic and growing organization
- Excellent project management, written & verbal communication and cross-functional teamwork skills
Compensation Range: The hourly rate for this position is $41/hr for Undergrad, $53/hr for Graduate students, and $58 for PhD students*. Compensation will vary based on factors, including skill level, proficiencies, transferable knowledge, and experience.
*For some positions the pay may be dependent upon the individual's regional location.
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multidisciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex/gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.
For positions located in the United States of America, Skydio, Inc. uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit https://www.e-verify.gov/