Skydio is the leading US drone manufacturer and world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders.
About the team:
- Our team is responsible for large portions of the software engineering stack, working on a wide variety of subsystems. We write bare metal and RTOS microcontroller code (stm32 product line), integrate and write code for embedded linux and android platforms (Qualcomm and Nvidia SOCs), maintain the associated linux kernels, and help design and bring up all new electronics.
- We work closely with both the hardware team and the rest of the software organization, creating the foundation for the rest of the Skydio software team to build upon.
About the role:
Reliable embedded firmware acts as the brain stem of our autonomous drones and the foundation for the growing accessory product line -- bridging the gap between the algorithms and the sensors/mechanical hardware. As a senior Skydio embedded software engineer, you will have the opportunity to architect, build out and lead the development of both current and future products in a fast-paced environment.
How you'll make an impact:
- Provide technical direction and architecture of complex systems
- Design and implement the embedded software that runs on the vehicle
- Characterize, integrate, and validate key subsystems (e.g. next-gen camera, radio)
- Bring up and debug new hardware
- Write interfaces and drivers for sensors and other devices
What makes you a good fit:
- Ability to write modern C++ in a real-time embedded environment
- Python development experience
- Ability to write clean code with appropriate abstraction boundaries
- SOC development (Qualcomm devices a plus), embedded microcontrollers, camera drivers
- Practical experience writing firmware/embedded code for a physical device
- Embedded linux userspace and kernel development
- Fundamental knowledge of low-level firmware
- Hands-on hardware bring-up, system debugging and code optimization
- Knowledge of debugging systems at ARM assembly code level
- Embedded security and cryptographic firmware development
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, generic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.
For positions located in the United States of America, our company Skydio, Inc. uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit https://www.e-verify.gov/