Skydio is the leading US drone manufacturer and world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders.
About the role: Skydio builds complex flying robots and a key aspect that enables our products is the wireless link between the user and the drone. We aim to deliver a proprietary wireless protocol that ensures a stable link for video, control, and logging data to the drone. This role will be responsible for testing and validating the RF system with real world flight data and simulated lab results using our cutting edge RF lab. As Skydio’s wireless test engineer you will be responsible for designing test plans, planning testing logistics and conducting test runs for Skydio’s unmanned aerial systems. You will work with the wireless team directly to obtain testing goals and coordinate with the flight testing team for testing logistics. As Skydio’s hardware portfolio grows the wireless test engineer will play a critical role in the overall performance of our products in our target markets.
How you'll make an impact:
- Work with the RF team and testing teams to improve testing practices and expand coverage
- Improve flight log processing work flows to expedite turn around time of results
- Continuously identify, measure, and track progress of wireless improvements
- Develop test scripts and work flows that automate testing practices for improved results consistency
- File, track, and follow through with bugs in the wireless system
- Test new changes to our wireless in representative environments
- Design and manage the test plans for new wireless features to ensure they are robust for our end users
- Provide real-time support to the wireless team to diagnose, triage, and debug issues in the wireless system
- Maintain complete and accurate documentation for wireless testing status and progress
What makes you a good fit:
- Experience with modern wireless systems and quality metrics
- Experience piloting UAS systems and able to obtain all necessary pilot licensing
- Experience using RF test chambers to conduct wireless simulation testing
- Ability to extract and interpret testing result real time to make test plan adjustments accordingly
- Experience using linux command line to configure embedded systems
- Ability to manage and store flight test results to track performance over time
- Strong understanding of troubleshooting steps for debugging off nominal scenarios
- Experience documenting and delivering actionable analysis reports following testing
- Demonstrated enthusiasm for things that fly (bonus points for sUAS Pilot's license)
- Ability to travel overseas (EU & Japan)
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, generic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.
For positions located in the United States of America, our company Skydio, Inc. uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit https://www.e-verify.gov/