Skydio is the leading US drone manufacturer and world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders.
About the team:
- We develop camera systems for autonomous drone navigation, consumer/prosumer media capture, and commercial inspection & situational awareness from customer use case analysis to requirements definition, product development, factory bringup, characterization, tuning, and validation through mass production
- We work directly with lens, sensor, module, ISP vendors and cross functionally internally with hardware, embedded, and autonomy teams to ensure that our camera systems meet all technical requirements and perform as expected in the field
- We build and maintain our in-house image quality lab for lens, sensor, module, and systems level characterization, tuning, validation, and manufacturing test development
- We use Linux, Mac, and Windows based tools for lab & manufacturing test station software, scripting, image quality test & tuning, and ISP development
About the role: We are looking for a Camera Systems Engineer to drive current and future product architectures that meet Skydio’s product vision, including feature requirements, module & ISP capabilities, stabilization & image processing requirements, optical & mechanical design requirements, and camera system design. The ideal candidate will be an experienced self-starter who is passionate about developing new imaging solutions.
How you'll make an impact:
- Collaborate with embedded, hardware, autonomy, and product teams to drive system level imaging requirements, derive specifications, and develop camera system architectures consisting of imaging sensors, lenses, modules, ISP, IQ tuning, and application software
- Develop methods to simulate, quantify, analyze, and present proposals and designs for imaging systems as well as collaborate on prototyping efforts when necessary
- Drive architecture specifications down to component level selection and development
- Help define and lead camera & imaging technology roadmaps
- Work with vendors to define and execute high quality imaging systems
What makes you a good fit:
- Strong communication skills across organizations and at the executive level as well as comfort designing imaging systems with no clear starting point
- Detailed understanding of compact imaging systems & module designs including image sensors, optics, mechanics, auto-focus, image stabilization, assembly processes, calibration, and manufacturing test
- Good knowledge of state of the art ISP data-flows and processing blocks
- Experience with modern imaging algorithms such as HDR, super resolution, image fusion, multi-camera registration, stabilization, and rolling shutter correction
- Excellent written skills for clear reporting of data analysis and conclusions
- 5+ years experience in several of the following domains: compact camera module development, image signal processing, mechanical and opto-mechanical design, optics and optical design, sensor technologies, CV algorithms and imaging algorithms
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, genetic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.
For positions located in the United States of America, our company Skydio, Inc. uses E-Verify to confirm employment eligibility. To learn more about E-Verify, including your rights and responsibilities, please visit https://www.e-verify.gov/