Skydio is the leading US drone manufacturer and world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders.
About the team:
- We develop autonomous flying robots for consumer/prosumer media capture, commercial inspection, and situational awareness from customer use case analysis to requirements definition, product development, factory bringup, and validation through mass production
- We work directly with subsystem technology vendors and cross functionally internally with hardware, embedded, and autonomy teams to develop vehicle, controller, and docking architectures including subsystem architectures such as imagine, ranging, compute, motor control, communication, sensing, and payloads.
- We build and maintain our in-house tools for system & subsystem level characterization, development, validation, and manufacturing
- We use Linux, Mac, and Windows based tools for hardware & software development, system & subsystem integration, as well as testing
About the role: We are looking for a System Design Engineer to drive current and future system & subsystem architectures that meet Skydio’s product vision, including platform & system level requirements, subsystem development, and system integration. The ideal candidate will be an experienced self-starter with deep experience in one of Skydio’s core focus areas who is passionate about developing new technology for autonomous flying robots.
How you'll make an impact:
- Collaborate with embedded, hardware, wireless, software, and autonomy teams to drive system level requirements, derive specifications, and develop subsystem architectures consisting of mechanical assemblies, electronics, and embedded software
- Develop methods to simulate, quantify, analyze, and present proposals and designs for platforms & subsystems as well as collaborate on prototyping efforts when necessary
- Drive architecture specifications down to component level selection and development
- Help define and lead platform and subsystem technology roadmaps
- Work with vendors to define and execute high quality systems & subsystems
What makes you a good fit:
- Strong communication skills across organizations and at the executive level as well as comfort designing systems with no clear starting point
- Good knowledge of state of the art heterogeneous compute and processing blocks
- Excellent written skills for clear reporting of data analysis and conclusions
- 4+ years experience working on systems that integrate some combination of imaging, ranging, advanced compute, motor control, communication, sensing, and payloads.
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, generic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.