Skydio is the leading US drone manufacturer and world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders.
About the team:
- We develop camera systems for autonomous drone navigation, consumer/prosumer media capture, and commercial inspection & situational awareness from customer use case analysis to requirements definition, product development, factory bringup, characterization, tuning, and validation through mass production
- We work directly with lens, sensor, module, ISP vendors and cross functionally internally with hardware, embedded, and autonomy teams to ensure that our camera systems meet all technical requirements and perform as expected in the field
- We build and maintain our in-house image quality lab for lens, sensor, module, and systems level characterization, tuning, validation, and manufacturing test development
- We use Linux, Mac, and Windows based tools for lab & manufacturing test station software, scripting, image quality test & tuning, and ISP development
About the role: We are looking for an Image Quality Engineer to drive current and future product architectures that meet Skydio’s product vision, including feature requirements, module & ISP capabilities, stabilization & image processing requirements, optical & mechanical design requirements, and camera system design. The ideal candidate will be an experienced self-starter who is passionate about developing new imaging solutions for autonomous flying robots.
How you'll make an impact:
- Collaborate with embedded, hardware, and autonomy teams to deliver mass production camera modules and imaging systems for media capture & autonomous navigation
- Own camera module level characterization, calibration, manufacturing test, and system level test
- Drive image quality tuning via iterative test & feedback including ISP, stabilization, and encoder through the full lifecycle of the design from prototype to mass production
- Develop methods to reproduce, simulate, quantify, analyze, and present image system issues with proposed and implemented fixes
What makes you a good fit:
- Detailed understanding of test & validation of compact imaging systems & camera modules including image sensors, optics, auto-focus, image stabilization, and manufacturing processes
- Experience analyzing image data from opto-electrical systems using software tools and scripts including writing scripts for analysis & automation
- Good knowledge of state of the art ISP tuning blocks including HDR, tone-mapping, color reproduction, white balance, warping, denoise, and sharpening
- Experience testing and validating modern imaging algorithms such as HDR, super resolution, image fusion, multi-camera registration, stabilization, and rolling shutter correction
- Excellent written skills for clear reporting of data analysis and conclusions
- 2+ years experience in several of the following domains: image quality testing, image quality tuning, camera lab test station design & implementation, camera lab test & scripting
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, generic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.