Skydio is the leading US drone manufacturer and world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders.
About the role:
The FP&A team at Skydio is seeking a talented business partner who thrives on executing in a fast-paced, rapidly growing organization. The role will report to the Head of FP&A and will support Skydio’s Hardware Engineering, Software Engineering, and Product teams. Your responsibilities will include building and maintaining forecast models, preparing and managing budgets, developing management reporting, and performing ad hoc analysis. This is a hands-on, strategic role and will require a solid understanding of hardware and software development processes, unit economics, pricing, cost optimization, and short-term and long-term planning.
How you'll make an impact:
Planning & Forecasting
- Lead strategic and financial planning processes for R&D teams (e.g. monthly reviews, annual and long-term plan).
- Lead the buildout of forecasts for major R&D cost components including hardware, cloud, software, and headcount by department.
- Prepare financial models and analyses to support business cases for growth, product builds, pricing, and other initiatives
- Ensure financial models reflect an aligned approach to product definitions, pricing strategies, margin goals, and investment priorities across product, go-to-market, and subject matter experts within R&D teams.
- Support engineering and product leaders by preparing capital allocation and investment frameworks to support investment recommendations on headcount funding and prioritization.
Analysis & Reporting
- Monitor and track engineering and product headcount by product, and devise a product-level cost attribution model for Product and Segment P&L reporting.
- Develop financial reports for various R&D activities (scrum beams, roadmap initiatives, vendor spend, etc.) for the leadership team.
- Develop cost-to-serve tools to support Pricing, Sales, and Customer Support initiatives.
Business Partnership / Communication
- Be your business teams' go-to financial partner for ad hoc analysis and relevant external relations (e.g. negotiating new contract terms, evaluating prospective partnerships).
- Be a thought leader to improve and simplify processes, drive standardization, and build scalable solutions to support the next wave of Skydio's growth.
What makes you a good fit:
- 5-8+ years of experience in FP&A (Product or R&D preferred).
- Prior work experience with Software / SaaS and Hardware (engineering, manufacturing, supply chain) companies.
- Deep understanding of the Software and/or Hardware business model and key drivers of growth and profitability.
- Extensive understanding and substantial knowledge of finance concepts and FP&A best practices, including headcount planning, driver-based modeling, budgeting, and forecasting.
- Proven ability to manage multiple competing priorities simultaneously and drive projects to completion.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively communicate across all levels of the organization and with cross-functional business partners, and present results highlighting areas of judgement and strategic impact.
- Bachelor's degree or higher in Finance, Business, Economics, or related field.
- Data visualization/BI experience (Tableau or Looker a plus)
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, generic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.