Skydio is the leading US drone company and the world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. Our team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence. Our technology makes drones more accessible and useful for a broader set of users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders to insurance claims adjusters.
About the role:
Skydio is hiring a Regulatory Lead to drive regulatory breakthroughs that enable safe and routine autonomous flight, powered by Skydio’s trustworthy autonomy. This position will play a critical role in achieving Skydio’s mission to make the world more productive, creative, and safe through autonomous flight. Over the last year, Skydio achieved multiple, groundbreaking waivers that enable our autonomous drones to fly beyond visual line of sight (BVLOS). This role will build on that success, taking Skydio’s regulatory work--and our products--to new heights. This is a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to push the frontiers of unmanned flight with the strength of category defining technology, working in support of customers ranging from energy utilities to departments of transportation to first responders. The role reports to the Head of Regulatory & Policy Affairs and will work closely with our product, engineering, and sales functions.
How you'll make an impact:
- Provide regulatory advice to the product management and engineering teams designed to ensure the safe and scalable use of Skydio’s hardware and software products.
- Develop and drive regulatory work with the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) and other stakeholders to unlock Skydio’s autonomous drones for routine, low-friction use by enterprise and public sector customers. You will create replicable regulatory models that enable advanced, autonomous operations.
- Manage and participate in efforts with standards bodies, industry associations, and other stakeholders to develop regulatory standards and approaches that advance our business and the industry.
- Review and advise Skydio leadership on proposed and final rules from the FAA and other regulators.
- Lead the process of developing Skydio’s responses to proposed rules and regulations.
- Manage and track the implementation of regulatory projects.
- Support key product demonstrations, technical validation events and regulatory test plans in coordination with the flight testing and solutions engineering teams.
What makes you a strong fit:
- Strong record of experience working on complex regulatory issues in the aviation or transportation sectors.
- Intensely motivated to find and implement creative and compelling regulatory solutions that unlock the potential for autonomous drones to make the world more productive, creative, and safe. You can point to examples in your career where you questioned the status quo, proposed new solutions, and successfully worked with regulators and decision makers to bring your vision to life.
- A willingness to get technical, understanding the technology that powers Skydio’s market-leading autonomous drones, and bring that knowledge to bear in developing safety cases, concepts of operations, and other information to support regulatory applications. To that end, an engineering degree or background may be helpful but is not required. Experience with autonomous systems is helpful but not required.
- Experience leading and developing advanced UAS regulatory projects with the FAA and/or global civil aviation authorities is very valuable, but not required. Along the same lines, experience working with the leading standards bodies (ASTM, RTCA, CTA, etc) on UAS standards is helpful but not required.
- Experience with advanced regulatory processes, such as type certification, is useful but not required.
- An understanding of the global drone regulatory environment, and/or experience working with global regulators on drone policy and regulations (such as the authorities in Canada and Japan), is helpful but not required.
- Strong sense of ownership and the ability to operate in a fast-paced environment with competing demands on your time.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, including the ability to explain complicated topics--such as autonomy--to regulators and partners.
- Ability to travel to client sites and attend technical validation events, as required (likely no more than 15-30% of the time).
- A B.A. or B.S. degree (advanced degrees are preferred but not required).
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, generic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.