Skydio is the world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders to insurance claims adjusters.
About the team:
The RF system connects users with our autonomous systems. As intelligent flying machines gain more independence, the demands on range and bandwidth are increasing; there is a huge opportunity to innovate within existing architectures to bring an incredible, highly-engineered product to market, and to define the next generation of RF frameworks and technologies.
How you'll make an impact:
- Define & design next generation radio systems (WLAN/LTE/BT/GNSS) for state of the art autonomous drones
- Work with EE, PD, and SW teams to optimize RF performance and develop thermal / noise mitigation strategies to optimize product performance
- Analyze and simulate RF system performance including cascaded chain analysis for EVM, IP2, IP3, and NF
- Experience with modeling & experimental characterization of wireless link scenarios will be a plus
- Provide design guidelines, perform impedance matching, review PCB layouts, support manufacturing test, debug failure units and perform large sample failure analysis
- Work with RF module/components suppliers to optimize RF performance
- Characterize Tx / Rx performance of the full system, including components such as dual band FEMs, LNAs & PAs
- Characterize and measure RF parametric : Rx sensitivity, Tx power, EVM, linearity, etc
- Oversee the transition from initial development to high volume manufacturing
- Provide support to compliance labs for regulatory certifications (FCC/MIC/IC/ETSI etc.)
What makes you a strong fit:
- MSEE and 3+ years of RF design experience in high volume consumer products or PhD and 2+ years design experience in RF/HW board and system level design
- Background in analyzing RF systems and understanding the trade offs within an RF system design (knowledge of PAs, LNAs, Mixers, PLLs, etc)
- Experience with EM/RF simulation tools such as ADS, HFSS, Matlab, Momentum
- Experience with board level RF troubleshooting including antenna and RF matching networks
- Hands on experience with conducted and radiated hardware characterization
- Programming and scripting languages including C, Python, MATLAB, SCPI for test setup automation and data analysis
- Design and simulation of lumped and distributed networks for passive PCB design elements
- Hands on experience with RF test and verification equipment such as CMW500, Litepoint, spectrum analyzers, network analyzers, oscilloscopes and frequency/function generators
- Deep understanding on RF link budget, Rx gain line-up, Rx AGC operation and optimization techniques for different interference conditions
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, generic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.