Skydio is the leading US drone manufacturer and world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders.
About the role:
We are seeking a driven and versatile engineer to help the development and execution of test plans and testing infrastructure to enable rapid design iteration and robust product validation for state-of-the-art autonomous flying machines servicing a broad range of consumer and commercial use cases.
How you'll make an impact:
- Work with product development, quality, manufacturing, and outside partners to define and execute comprehensive test strategies beginning in early prototyping stages through volume production, enabling earliest possible discovery of failure modes for complex electro-mechanical autonomous systems
- Develop the test hardware and software systems required to efficiently execute performance and reliability validation within fast development schedules
- Analyze data, calculate statistics, and carefully document test results to support enterprise customers and regulatory certification efforts
- Perform failure analysis to identify root cause and help develop process/design mitigations collaborating with mechanical, electrical and software engineering teams to rapidly implement corrective actions and resolve system issues
- Participate in design reviews and provide key design for reliability inputs to mitigate risks before the first prototypes are built
What makes you a strong fit:
- An experienced and finely-tuned sense of how to test, how not to test, and how to find vulnerabilities in processes and design
- A systems-engineering approach to problem solving, and a knack for rapidly identifying issues within mechanical, electrical, and software domains as well as the grey areas between them on tightly integrated systems; strong desire to drive failure analyses to true root cause
- Enthusiastic tendencies toward diving in and applying first principles to engineer creative solutions to complex problems
- Experience with Python or other programming languages for test automation, data analysis and visualization
- Strong desire to learn and contribute across multiple domains within a dynamic and growing organization
- Excellent project management, written & verbal communication and cross-functional teamwork skills
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, generic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.