Skydio is the world leader in autonomous flight, the key technology for the future of drones and aerial transportation. The Skydio team combines deep expertise in artificial intelligence, best-in-class hardware and software product development, and operational excellence to empower a broader, more diverse audience of drone users - from action sports enthusiasts to first responders to insurance claims adjusters.
About the role: We are building an exciting host of new backend systems and on-vehicle features for these enterprise partners--we’re looking for an experienced Software Engineer who is excited to help design, develop and ship new systems that bridge together cloud services and fleets of autonomous drones.
- Collaborate across functions (product managers, frontend engineers, autonomy engineers) to deliver cloud systems that enable enterprise use-cases on the Skydio Platform
- Implement robust backend APIs, data pipelines, cache layers, highly-available streaming services, and scalable infrastructure for enterprise and internal systems
- Architect cloud interfaces that enable cross-compatibility between various versions of mobile and drone software across the fleet
- Design secure, efficient, observable, and robust software for dealing with real-time data and video from fleets of Skydio drones
- Recognize and execute on opportunities to create tools and infrastructure to improve developer efficiency
- Take ownership on a wide range of systems and drive projects from concept through shipping
What makes you a strong fit:
- Ability to work anywhere in the technical stack, with a primary focus on quality backend code
- High proficiency in Python and use of structured data serialization (e.g. Protobuf, Cap’n’Proto)
- Expertise in relational databases and schema design. Timeseries DBs and data ‘warehouses’ are another bonus
- Experience architecting production-ready APIs, scalable infrastructure, or high volume data pipelines
- Familiarity with both AWS and modern DevOps tooling (e.g. Terraform, Ansible, Docker, Kubernetes)
- Ability to take a concept and systematically drive it through the software lifecycle: architecture, development, testing, q/a, and deployment
Our technical stack:
- Our web and systems backend software is primarily written in Python, uses Protobuf for data serialization, and communicates with Mobile Apps, a Typescript front-end, and APIs on the drone. We have some C++ libraries for efficiently processing drone telemetry data, and use Celery for managing task queues and workers.
- Our main cloud backend is built with Flask, SQLAlchemy, Postgres, Redis and run with Gunicorn, Nginx on AWS infrastructure. We primarily use Terraform and Ansible to provision and deploy services, with Docker deployments for many of them. We use a variety of AWS services, including SQS, Kinesis, IOT, SNS, and the usual suspects EC2, S3, and Route53.
At Skydio we believe that diversity drives innovation. We have created a multi-disciplinary environment that embraces the power of diverse perspectives to create elegant solutions for complex problems. We are committed to growing our network of people, programs, and resources to nurture an inclusive culture.
As such, we do not make hiring or other employment-related decisions on the basis of an applicant or employee’s race, color, ethnicity, national origin, citizenship, sex (including pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding and related medical conditions), pregnancy, gender, gender identity or expression, age, religion, disability status, sexual orientation, marital status, medical condition, generic information or characteristics, veteran, military or family status, or other classifications protected by applicable federal, state or local anti-discrimination laws.