We believe that good technology can improve our daily lives in ways that few things can. We exist to inspire and enable those wanting to create exceptional software and digital experience. We aim to build the most impactful, sought-after, and well-run technology services company in the world. Our decision making and approach to work are based on the principles of our Core Values: Choose to be Happy, Embrace Change, Own It, Simplify and Go, and Give More Than You Take.
About the Job
The Skookum DevOps practice works with clients to help them deliver value more reliably, rapidly, and securely. We are vendor and technology agnostic, though we focus primarily on helping clients migrate to Kubernetes-based delivery models. We care deeply about building out sustainable processes that can be 100% owned and operated by our clients once we’re gone. We accomplish this by combining mentorship, best in class technology, and a strong sense of developer empathy. As DevOps practitioners, we also understand that while our clients typically come to us for our technical expertise, we must also be prepared to approach organizational and cultural problems in the software delivery lifecycle.
We are looking for a jack of all trades engineer with lots of experience across numerous technologies and platforms. You will be part developer, part infrastructure administrator, and part educator. We do it all, and we need a person who can work alongside our development teams and solve hard problems. You should love scripting, automation, security, and making environments hum along like a well-oiled machine. Docker and AWS experience are a definite plus and will put you on our shortlist, but you must also be comfortable with Windows and Linux server environments.
We generally operate with small teams working closely together on a wide variety of complex and interesting projects. Think Postgres optimization, mobile UI with React, offline-enabled responsive web applications to name a few. Our web stacks today include React, Vue.js, Angular, Rails / Sinatra, Node.js, .NET and we even have system-level languages like C/C++ and Go in production. We strongly believe in using the best tool for the problem.
You will succeed in this role if you:
- Have experience with AWS
- Can debate the merits of Chef, Puppet, and Ansible
- Understand container technology, like Docker, and the growing ecosystem
- Are familiar with tools like Vagrant or Boxen
- Have written and delivered software in production as part of a team
- Are comfortable challenging the status quo and thinking outside the box
- Are always looking for ways to automate your toil
- Can explain the advantages of containers (and could come up with some disadvantages)
- Are interested in improving the software delivery lifecycle using frameworks like Kubernetes
- Are comfortable working in polyglot environments (at some point you’ll need to debug code written in Java, nodejs, python, groovy, or golang)
- Are ready to help inform “build vs. buy” decisions
- Could field questions on topics like “DevOps,” “12 factor,” “Microservices,” “Continuous Delivery,“ or “Serverless”
- Don’t mind reading the Kubernetes RBAC documentation (too much!)
- Are familiar with both NoSQL (Mongo, Redis) and RDBM (Postgres, MySQL, SQL Server) systems
- Work well with others
- Love the journey as much as the destination
- Enjoy working in and learning to use a wide variety of technologies and languages
We never do the same thing twice. We build business critical applications. We tackle problems we don’t always know how to solve. Every day, every project is a new challenge to conquer. You will have the opportunity to push yourself and grow.
We have offices in beautiful Charlotte, NC, Denver, CO and Atlanta, GA. We believe in work/life balance. Seriously. We offer a ton of competitive perks, including:
- Continuing education opportunities
- Flexible PTO and work-from-home policies
- 401K matching
- Health, Dental and Vision benefits, starting on day 1
- Friday company lunches, company outings, along with beer and a lot of snacks
- Health and wellness programs
- Other location specific perks (just ask!)
If Skookum sounds like the place for you, please submit an application. Also, let us know if you have a presence online with a blog, Twitter, GitHub, Dribbble or other platform.
"If you are a California resident, more details on how we process your personal information can be found in the CCPA Recruitment Privacy Notice (https://www.globallogic.com/privacy/ccpa-recruitment-privacy-notice/)"