We believe that good technology can improve our daily lives in ways that few things can. We exist to inspire and enable those wanting to create exceptional software and digital experience. We aim to build the most impactful, sought-after, and well-run technology services company in the world. Our decision making and approach to work are based on the principles of our Core Values: Choose to be Happy, Embrace Change, Own It, Simplify and Go, and Give More Than You Take.
About the Job
Skookum is seeking a Principal Software Engineer to join our Engineering and Delivery organization. In this role you will work alongside developers, product strategists, project managers, and technical leadership to design and build complex solutions to our clients’ needs. If you have experience creating and documenting software architecture from scratch, please read on.
You would work with clients to help them design and deliver software that addresses their needs. As a Principal Engineer, you are responsible for listening to stakeholders, compiling their needs, and designing systems to meet these needs. You will be the technical lead on the design and build phases of our projects, leveraging your knowledge of architectural patterns, software delivery, and continuous deployment. You will also work with senior technical people at Skookum to educate and mentor the rest of the technical organization, keeping us up-to-date on the many directions of the software world.
- Lead project teams from a technical perspective guiding development efforts across a team of engineers.
- Architect software systems that help build pragmatic software solutions for our clients.
- Mentor team members to help them grow and develop inside of project work.
- Write code to help a project move toward great outcomes when appropriate.
- Understand client systems, how they interact and can map out an evolution of those systems.
You are always learning. You are always growing. You are always seeking to improve yourself and coach those around you. You are a human first, a developer second. You are willing and able to partake in and lead communication with project stakeholders. You should be able to explain technical constraints to both technical and non-technical audiences.
You will be successful in this role if you:
- Have written and delivered software in production as part of a team
- Have respectable technical writing skills
- Work well with others
- Are comfortable challenging the status quo and thinking outside the box
- Are always looking for ways to automate your toil
- Can explain various architectural patterns, their pros and cons.
- Are interested in improving the software delivery lifecycle using frameworks like Kubernetes and tools like Docker or Vagrant.
- Are comfortable working in polyglot environments (at some point you’ll need to debug code written in Java, nodejs, python, groovy, and/or golang)
- Are ready to help inform “build vs. buy” decisions
- Could field questions on topics like “DevOps,” “12 factor,” “Microservices,” “Continuous Delivery“ and “Serverless”
- Enjoy mentoring other developers and spreading your knowledge
We never do the same thing twice. We build business critical applications. We tackle problems we don’t always know how to solve. Every day, every project is a new challenge to conquer. You will have the opportunity to push yourself and grow.
We have offices in beautiful Charlotte, NC, Denver, CO and Atlanta, GA. We believe in work/life balance. Seriously. We offer a ton of competitive perks, including:
- Continuing education opportunities
- Flexible PTO and work-from-home policies
- 401K matching
- Health, Dental and Vision benefits, starting on day 1
- Health and wellness programs
- Other location specific perks (just ask!)
If Skookum sounds like the place for you, please submit an application. Also, let us know if you have a presence online with a blog, Twitter, GitHub, Dribbble or other platform.