At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Skeleton Key is a new game development studio and division of Wizards of the Coast. We are a group of industry veterans who are guided by the belief that empowering our teams and providing the proper time, tools, and support we can foster a creative culture where everyone can do their best work.
Our new studio will be located in Austin, TX, and we are looking for a passionate and dedicated Lead Technical Designer to join us and build and manage a diverse team of Tech Designers that will be tasked with helping architect gameplay systems, mechanics, features, and tools.
Reporting to the Design Director you will play a critical role as we concept and kick off pre-production. You'll work with design, engineering, and other subject area leads to solidify the pipelines, workflows, and processes to implement our project vision.
The ideal candidate will have built high-quality content as a designer, be a strong collaborator that enjoys working across subject areas, have a strong technical background, and be comfortable writing code and script.
What You'll Do:
- Oversee and help build design systems, features, tools, and processes.
- Help develop standards for design content creation.
- Proactively seek out and resolve bottlenecks to improve efficiency and empower the design team to build outstanding high-quality and bug-free content.
- Collaborate with other teams and departments, ensuring relevant partners are involved and advised throughout development.
- Act as a strong quality advocate for team, crafting content that is game-of-the-year caliber and helping others on the team achieve the same high quality.
- Help evangelize the game’s vision to the rest of the team at large.
- Regularly play the game, providing constructive feedback and suggestions.
- Remain up to date on industry trends and competitor games.
What You'll Bring:
- 5+ years of experience as a Lead or Director of Technical Design with at least 2 shipped AAA titles.
- Experience working in and technical proficiency with Unreal Editor.
- Programming and scripting experience.
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Highly organized.
- Self-sufficient and self-motivated, able to push something forward but also know when to ask for guidance or help.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request accommodation.