Support Engineer- Remote
Our customers are at the forefront of some of the most interesting data in the world, using SingleStore DB to push the boundaries every day. To do this well, they leverage the expertise of our Support Engineering Team, composed of technical subject matter experts on the frontlines of critical customer issues.
This Support Engineering role skews far more towards engineering than typical technical support as you will need to delve into database internals and memory allocators, investigate Linux and host related configurations, and diagnose SQL query behavior, all in the name of resolving complex database issues. Our Support Engineers are constantly learning a wide range of customer systems and technical concepts and are thrilled by the new and exciting challenges that they encounter on a regular basis.
To accurately identify the source and solution of an issue, this team will take the time to learn about the customer’s business and systems while helping to improve their fundamental SingleStore and database operational knowledge. This often requires additional research and time spent on learning new technologies and tools outside of SingleStore while also being deeply engaged with multiple departments including development teams, query performance engineering, product management, infrastructure SREs, etc.
Role and Responsibilities
- Provide advanced technical support to our enterprise customers, assisting them with complex technical product issues, bug diagnosis, or resolving critical outages.
- Identify and reproduce product issues and submit formal bug reports or feature requests to the appropriate Engineering team. You will dive deep into logging to understand the events that occurred and how you might reproduce the behavior.
- Work to streamline and improve various Support and Engineering processes and tools, author new internal run-books or public documentation, and help the team continually improve efficiency and effectiveness.
- Collaborate with software developers, sales engineers, and technical account managers to keep all teams up to date with current issues a customer may be facing.
- Ensure customers have a positive support experience during every interaction.
- Participate in our on-call rotation that may include weekends and holidays.
Required Skills and Experience
- 4+ years of previous customer-facing technical support experience.
- Experience with MySQL or Postgres databases and SQL Query Optimization. You should be familiar enough with at least one commercial or open source database to decipher its EXPLAIN plan and understand potential performance impact or ways to improve the query.
- A solid devops/sysadmin skill set. That means you are hands-on with Linux and you know three ways to find a file, check utilization of system I/O, measure network throughput, and are comfortable navigating large log files. Bonus points for familiarity with Kubernetes.
- Experience with a scripting or coding language. Whether it’s Python, Bash, or Go, you should have a go-to solution for quick and dirty problem-solving and be able to navigate through our code base.
- Familiarity with distributed systems and AWS/GCP. You understand how organizations deploy and maintain distributed applications and services across multiple machines Bonus points for knowing how to analyze them for performance bottlenecks and remove single points of failure.
- Experience improving support processes regarding ticket triage, escalation, and reporting business metrics back to the organization.
- Strong written and verbal English communication skills. Have the ability to explain technical concepts to a wide range of end-users.
SingleStore delivers the cloud-native database with the speed and scale to power the world’s data-intensive applications. With a distributed SQL database that introduces simplicity to your data architecture by unifying transactions and analytics, SingleStore empowers digital leaders to deliver exceptional, real-time data experiences to their customers. SingleStore is venture-backed and headquartered in San Francisco with offices in Sunnyvale, Raleigh, Seattle, Boston, London, Lisbon, Bangalore, Dublin and Kyiv.
Consistent with our commitment to diversity & inclusion, we value individuals with the ability to work on diverse teams and with a diverse range of people.
Please note that SingleStore’s COVID-19 vaccination policy requires that team members in the United States be up to date with the current CDC guidelines for their vaccinations with one of the United States FDA-approved vaccine options to meet in person for SingleStore business or to work from one of our U.S. office locations. [It is expected that this will be a requirement for this role]. If an exemption and/or accommodation to our vaccination policy is requested, a member of the Human Resources department will be available to begin the interactive accommodation process.
To all recruitment agencies: SingleStore does not accept agency resumes. Please do not forward resumes to SingleStore employees. SingleStore is not responsible for any fees related to unsolicited resumes and will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with the Company.
SingleStore values individuals for their unique skills and experiences, and we’re proud to offer roles in a variety of locations across the United States. Salary is based on permissible, non-discriminatory factors such as skills, experience, and geographic location, and is just one part of our total compensation and benefits package. Certain roles are also eligible for additional rewards, including merit increases and annual bonuses.
Our benefits package for this role includes: stock options, flexible paid time off, monthly three-day weekends, 14 weeks of fully-paid gender-neutral parental leave, fertility and adoption assistance, mental health counseling, 401(k) retirement plan, and rich health insurance offerings—including medical, dental, vision and life and disability insurance.