SimX is a fast-growing startup bringing virtual and augmented reality to medical simulation training. Our product is the first comprehensive professional-grade VR medical simulation system, and it is used by our customers to train physicians, nurses, and other allied health professionals. Since our product has become generally available, demand has exploded and we're in need of new engineering team members to move our product forward.
Our company has an ambitious and high-impact purpose: to transform the way physicians and allied health professionals are trained in order to take a dent out of the more than 400,000 people who die every year from preventable medical errors. We're a high-powered team consisting of about half physicians and half engineers, all of whom have dedicated their time to achieving our mission. As an early startup, we're looking for new team members who are excited about our mission and have the drive to thrive in the startup environment.
Our company is based in the Bay Area, and our offices are currently in downtown San Francisco.
As a Back-end Web Engineer, you will primarily be working on our Node.js-based simulation engine and networking framework. This work will include enhancing the engine, improving the scalability of the engine, and DevOps around our cloud deployments. As a startup team member, you'll have a wide variety of responsibilities that will evolve as our needs change. Your primary responsibility will be to develop new features from initial concept to deployment. You'll also help provide support to our customers, including new or modified features and addressing technical issues. This is a full-time in-office position with cash and stock option compensation and benefits.
This is a full-time in-office position with cash and stock option compensation and benefits. Due to the COVID-19 epidemic, all SimX work is performed remotely until further notice.
- B.S. in Computer Science, Software Engineering, or appropriate technical degree, or equivalent engineering experience.
- 3 years of professional experience building back end applications with Node.js.
- A strong understanding of server architecture.
- Willing to work on a flexible schedule with colleagues from around the country.
- Strong communication and teamwork skills.
- Experience using Git or other version control tools.
- Self-motivated problem solver who will do what it takes to get the job done - with relatively minimal direct supervision from management.
- Proof of eligibility to work in the United States.
- Permanent residence in the United States.
Note: these are not required to be a successful applicant, but we'd love it if you have one or two! Please also feel free to let us know if you have skills not listed here that you think would make you a great fit for our company.
- Experience building real-time backend software with Socket.IO.
- Experience with Amazon Web Services infrastructure.
- A strong understanding of distributed server architecture (docker, K8s, etc.)
- 1+ year of experience working on a VR product (ideally on the Oculus Quest, but alternatively on the Gear VR, Google Cardboard, or other similar standalone VR HMD).
- Medical experience.
SimX is an equal opportunity employer. Our goal is to have a workforce that represents the full diversity of the health professionals that we aim to train and the patients whose care we want to improve. Our employment decisions will be based solely on the merit and qualifications of applicants without discrimination, including discrimination with regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity or national origin. SimX is committed to making reasonable accommodation to qualified individuals with disabilities.