Do you want to work for one of the top engineering firms in the country?
Simpson Gumpertz & Heger Inc. (SGH) is a national engineering firm that designs, investigates, and rehabilitates structures, building enclosures, and materials. Our award-winning work encompasses building, energy, civil/infrastructure, and science/defense projects in the United States, Canada, and more than thirty additional countries.
We want someone passionate about civil engineering and problem solving.
The ideal candidate will support the continued development of a wide array of site/civil engineering services within SGH. S/he will be expected to support our work in site layout, grading, roadway and utility design, hydrologic and hydraulic analysis, stormwater management, and erosion and sedimentation control; including the preparation of calculations, drawings, specifications, and written technical reports; and to engage in construction administration activities.
What You'll Do:
- Perform a wide range of civil engineering analysis, design, and investigation involving industrial sites, building sites, bridges, roadways and multi-use paths.
- Work on projects that may include:
- Preparation of construction documents, specifications, written reports, and cost estimates for a wide range of civil engineering projects.
- Design or evaluation of site grading and layout, utilities, hydrology and hydraulics, and erosion and sedimentation control.
- Evaluate existing and prepare design of proposed stormwater drainage systems including design of Stormwater Best Management Practices (BMPs).
- Evaluate existing and prepare design of proposed utility systems
- Evaluation of existing pavement and proposed repairs
- Support SGH’s Building Technology group; prepare design for plaza drainage systems, sub-slab dewatering systems, and footing drainage systems.
- Support SGH’s new Building Design Group; prepare civil/site plans for new construction and site redevelopment.
- Support SGH’s Bridge Group; prepare site plans and roadway approach design for bridge repair and rehabilitation projects.
- Prepare site and utility layout for industrial and utility transmission sites.
- Perform site visits to evaluate and design repairs to existing site/civil infrastructure.
- Investigation of retaining wall, pavement, stormwater, and sewer problems.
- Leveraging Civil3D capabilities in support of various internal SGH groups
What You'll Need:
- Bachelor’s degree in Civil Engineering required.
- MS in Civil/Geotechnical Engineering preferred; educational support available for those who are interested in obtaining an MS in Civil/Geotechnical Engineering or currently enrolled in such a program.
- 3+ years of engineering experience required
- Engineer in Training (EIT) certification required
- Demonstrated experience with Autodesk Civil 3d preferred.
- Experience with the set-up, organization, and production of plan sets, including plan and profile sheets utilizing Civil3D beneficial.
- Familiar with civil/site permitting requirements beneficial.
- Familiarity with computer analysis software (e.g., XPStorm or XPSWMM, Civil 3d, AutoCAD, AutoTurn, HydroCAD, etc.)
- Strong communication and writing skills.
- Demonstrated ability to meet deadlines.
- Ability to work in a team environment.
- Must have a valid driver’s license and an acceptable Motor Vehicle Report
Why You'll Like Working at SGH:
- Our work: Our clients trust us with their most challenging projects and we leverage our collective expertise to deliver exceptional results. At SGH, you will develop innovative solutions for the built environment by working with industry thought leaders and accessing the latest in testing, research, and technology.
- Our people: We are people of high character and diverse talents who are committed to lifelong learning and professional growth. As part of our team, you will join peers who love solving difficult problems and strive to be outstanding in everything they do.
- Our commitment: We live with integrity and embrace an obligation to give back. Here, you can help advance our profession by contributing to industry organizations, committees, standards, and procedures. Within our communities, we strive to improve neighborhoods and mentor our future leaders.
- Our contribution: At SGH, you have access to a comprehensive and rich compensation and benefits package with company-paid and voluntary programs to help build healthy lifestyles, strong relationships, and future prosperity.
SGH has 600 employees and offices in Boston; Chicago; Houston; New York City; San Francisco; Southern California; and Washington, DC.
SGH is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity in our workforce. We are committed to providing equal opportunities to all job applicants and employees. We consider all qualified applicants and encourage individuals with disabilities and protected veterans to apply. If the application system is not accessible to you, or you need a reasonable accommodation to apply due to a disability, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.