SimpliSafe is looking to hire a passionate, collaborative, experienced privacy attorney to fill our Senior Global Privacy Counsel role, as we expand our Legal Team to support the continued success and growth of the broader organization, development of our product set and expansion of the SimpliSafe brand into new markets. This position will take the lead on privacy matters and serve as the company’s internal privacy expert, advising SimpliSafe cross-functionally on a range of data privacy, data governance and information security matters and providing legal counsel and subject matter expertise.
What will you do?
- Serve as the internal privacy expert and handle privacy and data protection-related inquiries from a wide range of groups across the company (such as information security, product, marketing, public relations, strategic partnerships, engineering, customer service and people operations), providing strategic and practical advice and counsel on legal requirements and compliance.
- Be an escalation point for negotiation, drafting, and review of contracts that involve sharing, using or managing personal information (e.g., vendor/service provider agreements, customer agreements, data processing, data transfer, data usage agreements, etc.) to ensure appropriate privacy contractual language and consideration of internal measures needed to support such arrangements.
- Assist in the creation, maintenance and implementation of policies, processes, data inventory/record of processing and associated documentation relating to processing of data, incidents, initiatives, activities and audits.
- Guide Company’s response to any privacy inquiries or data subject rights requests and collaborate with cross functional teams to respond in a timely manner.
- Perform Impact Assessments to identify and mitigate privacy risks resulting from current data processing activities and new business initiatives.
- Support and advise on regular audits and monitoring of company activities to ensure company compliance with applicable data privacy requirements.
- Prepare and conduct awareness and training efforts as needed to increase employee understanding of legal data privacy obligations and compliance, company data privacy policies, data handling practices and procedures.
- Have expertise in areas of privacy and data protection (including GDPR, ePrivacy Directive and related regulations, CCPA, CPRA, BIPA, AI, IoT and privacy by design), regulatory guidance and enforcement actions.
- Work closely with cross-functional stakeholders to continue to develop and refine company’s incident response plan.
- Partner with IT to develop and maintain a comprehensive document retention policy and related processes.
What are we looking for?
- 7+ years of relevant experience (in-house experience preferred) with at least 3+ years specializing in data privacy and protection matters, practicing in a dynamic, fast paced setting.
- Admission to a State Bar and able to register as in-house counsel.
- Strong familiarity with and working knowledge of the relevant legal and regulatory landscape in this area, including U.S. state and federal data privacy, security, breach notification, consumer protection laws, regulations and proposed legislation and experience providing counsel on U.S., UK, EU and Canadian data privacy, information security matters and compliance.
- Experience leading and driving projects to completion.
- Expertise in negotiating contracts and partnering directly with various internal business clients.
- Experience supporting products and lines of business that depend upon the collection, storage and processing of personally identifiable information and counseling cross-functionally on a wide array of data privacy and security matters.
- Strong commercial skills, business expertise and problem-solving skills is paramount.
- CIPP certification(s) preferred.
- Experience working with IoT and connected home products and services and assessing related data privacy, AI and commercial issues.
- Experience supporting high-growth technology companies engaged in international expansion.
SimpliSafe Legal Required Attributes and Skills:
- Excellent written, oral, listening and organizational skills with proven ability to interact effectively with varied business clients and legal team colleagues, including executive team members.
- Team and service-oriented approach to your work and colleagues
- Possess outstanding negotiating skills and high degree of business savvy to facilitate practical, creative and positive outcomes.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, cross-functional, deadline driven environment, handling multiple projects simultaneously and dealing with rapidly changing priorities and work within committed budgets.
- Possess an intellectual curiosity about our business and desire to grow and develop beyond your comfort zone. Must be willing to stretch into areas that are not core strengths, as needed, to support business and team initiatives.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Sound judgement and ability to analyze situations and information.
- A low ego, roll-up the sleeves mindset, can-do attitude and strong sense of humor.
About SimpliSafe’s Legal Team:
SimpliSafe’s Legal Team is charged with representing the company’s interests on a global basis and serving as a critical business partner across all functions to solve complex problems facing the organization and help guide and shape key strategic considerations, commercial opportunities and internal initiatives. Our team is trusted and empowered to act and do what’s needed to protect the best interests of our company, customers and employees, and we take this responsibility seriously.
Our goal is simple: to achieve great results, identify and mitigate risk, and set SimpliSafe up for success. We do this by developing strong relationships with our business partners to better understand their needs and concerns, embracing a practical, thoughtful and solutions-oriented approach, employing a low-ego, can-do attitude, and delivering timely risk-adjusted advice, guidance and feedback.
As a team we collaborate and support each other’s success and development and approach our work with a strong sense of commitment matched by an equally strong sense of humor to ensure we continue to find our experience working at SimpliSafe to be rewarding and challenging.
SimpliSafe is a leading innovator in the home security industry with one mission: to make every home secure.
SimpliSafe protects over 3 million Americans and we’re growing at a rapid pace. We pride ourselves in being daring innovators, humble cooperators, and data-driven thinkers. We go wherever the best idea leads us, work selflessly to get the best outcomes for our customers, and constantly analyze & reevaluate our efforts.
Like our products, we are constantly evolving to provide the best employment experience possible. If SimpliSafe sounds like a company you’d enjoy working for, we’d love to hear from you!