Who We Are
SimpliSafe is a leading innovator in the DIY security industry with one mission: to make every home secure. We believe in democratizing home safety. As our co-founder Chad Laurans aptly put it, “you shouldn’t have to ask permission to secure your home. You should be able to do it yourself.”
SimpliSafe protects over 3 million Americans and we’re growing at a rapid pace. We pride ourselves in being daring innovators, humble cooperators, and data driven thinkers. We go wherever the best idea leads us, work selflessly to get the best outcomes for our customers, and constantly analyze & reevaluate our efforts.
As part of the Data & Analytics Team, reporting to the Head of Data Engineering, this role plays a critical part in building out SimpliSafe’s analytics capability. As SimpliSafe has been growing significantly over the last few years, its analytics needs have outgrown its original technology stack. We are now in the process of rebuilding the analytics platform as well as the processes with which SimpliSafe conducts its business and financial analysis. The Senior Data Engineer will play an integral part in defining and building out these processes as well as the data analytics platform and technology stack to support it.
What You’ll Do:
- work with function team members to gather, assess, organize, profile, and clean data for business analysis,
- collaborate with Data Engineering and Engineering colleagues on the build-out of SimpliSafe’s new Analytics platform,
- accelerate and improve data acquisition and access for function team members,
- work with project stakeholders to identify business needs and gather requirements for data analysis or deployment of existing analytics tools,
- provide quick-response support to function team members on data access and quality matters,
- document data movement processes and business assumptions,
- provide training on the available data sources for function and other Data & Analytics team members.
This is an opportunity to join a new team tasked with transforming the organization to be truly data-driven, upscale its analytics capability and utilize the wealth of information we have access to.
What You’ll Need:
- Education and Experience
- Undergraduate degree in a field linked to data engineering, business analytics, applied mathematics, computer science, IT, computer applications, engineering or related field is required; advanced degree is preferred
- 5+ years relevant industry experience with focus on data engineering
- Previous experience working in a matrixed organization is preferred
- Technical Competencies
- Experience in using a cloud platform, preferably AWS.
- Proficiency in SQL.
- Proficiency in scripting languages like python.
- Experience with query engines such as Athena, PrestoDB, Snowflake, BigQuery.
- Experience with stream processing technologies such as Spark, Flink, Storm, Firehose.
- Experience with queues such as Kinesis, Kafka.
- Experience in creating and testing REST APIs.
- Understanding the security of APIs, servers, data.
- Experience in providing service, support, documentation to the users of your products.
- Experience in software and system design in collaboration with the future users.
- Experience in agile methodologies.
- Soft skills
- Able to anticipate, identify, and solve critical problems
- Flexible, self-motivated, and proactive out-of-the-box thinker
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Fluent written and spoken English
- Ability and willingness to give and receive honest, balanced feedback
- Excellent organizational skills with strong attention to detail, efficient time management, and the ability to prioritize work effectively
- Independently and proactively communicates issues, priorities, and objectives
- Strong collaborative skills and able to adjust approach to effectively interact with customers at all organizational and technical levels
- Ability to respect all of SimpliSafe’s and its customer information as confidential