SimpliSafe is looking to hire a Corporate Counsel as we are presently expanding our Legal Team to support the continued success and growth of the broader organization, development of our product set and expansion of the SimpliSafe brand into new markets. Reporting to our Deputy General Counsel, in this role you will serve as a key member of the Legal Team as you support initiatives within each functional area of the company and work with all members of the Legal Team, and you will be responsible for managing a high volume of contract and other commercial legal projects, reviews and requests for timely business-minded legal advice.
Today, we are the fastest growing home security company in the country competing against entrenched mainstays, like ADT, and the new-to-the-space giants, like Amazon and Google. To compete in this ever-growing IoT home automation security space, we must learn and iterate quickly, work collaboratively, and deliver creatively.
What you’ll do:
- Take a lead role in contract drafting, review and negotiation across the organization, including NDAs and Services Agreements, with a focus on SAAS, licensing, advertising and partnership agreements.
- Support a wide array of marketing and advertising programs across all distribution channels.
- Support commercial projects and other governance and corporate initiatives.
- Provide support as needed to all other areas of the Legal Team, such as IP and employment related litigation, real estate, marketing and engineering and international expansion and the development and support of new internal and employee-facing tools.
- Support alarm industry licensing activity, including validating licensing and regulatory implications of new products, services and expansion into new markets.
- Support new product development activities, from design, manufacture, and commercial launch. Support trademark, patenting and other IP considerations, with particular attention to connected home and IOT issues and concerns.
- Support HR & Employment initiatives to develop, enhance and enforce corporate policies, support talent acquisition, and assist with immigration, leave and other regularly-occurring employee relations and life-cycle events.
What you’ll bring:
Legal Department Required Attributes and Skills:
- Excellent written, oral, listening, and organizational skills with proven ability to interact effectively with varied business and legal team constituents, including executive team members.
- Possesses outstanding negotiating skills and high degree of business savvy to facilitate practical, creative and positive outcomes.
- Ability to work collaboratively on cross functional teams.
- Ability to work in a fast paced, deadline driven environment.
- Ability to handle multiple projects simultaneously, deal with rapidly changing priorities and work within committed budgets.
- Possess an intellectual curiosity about our business and desire to grow and develop beyond your comfort zone. Must be willing to stretch into areas that are not core strengths, as needed, to support business.
- High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
- Sound judgement and ability to analyze situations and information.
- A low ego, roll-up the sleeves mindset, can-do attitude and strong sense of humor.
- Experience working in-house.
- Experience working with consumer products or companies that have substantial e-commerce (direct-to-consumer) and retail distribution models is strongly preferred.
- Experience supporting internal business units, interfacing directly with functional leads (i.e. CTO), Executive Team and front-line business team members.
- Experience addressing legal and commercial issues associated with the delivery, performance, maintenance and support of SaaS-based services.
- Experience supporting products and businesses that are subject to state, federal or industry-specific licensing requirements and other like regulations.
- Experience working with IoT and connected home products and services and assessing related legal and commercial issues.
- Experience supporting high-growth technology companies engaged in international expansion.
- Admission to a State Bar and able to register as in-house counsel.
- 5-7 years’ experience practicing in a dynamic, fast paced environment, with experience both in an in-house and firm setting strongly preferred.
- Experience counseling on a wide array of contractual matters and a mastery of negotiating and drafting standard commercial contracts.
About SimpliSafe’s Legal Department:
SimpliSafe’s Legal Department is charged with representing the company’s interests on a global basis and serving as a critical business partner across all functions to solve some of the most complex problems facing the organization and help guide and shape key strategic considerations, commercial opportunities and internal initiatives. Our team is trusted and empowered to act and do what’s needed to protect the best interests of our company, customers and employees, and we take this responsibility seriously.
Our goal is simple: to achieve great results, identify and mitigate risk, and set the company up for success. We do this by developing strong relationships with our business partners to better understand their needs and concerns, embracing a practical, thoughtful and solutions-oriented approach, employing a low-ego, can-do attitude, and delivering timely risk-adjusted advice, guidance and feedback.
As a team we collaborate and support each other’s success and development, and approach our work with a strong sense of commitment matched by an equally strong sense of humor to ensure we continue to find our experience working at SimpliSafe to be fun, rewarding and challenging.
SimpliSafe is a home security company that is based in Boston, MA which creates and sells self-installed security systems. Our company was founded by Chad and Eleanor Laurans in 2006 when they had several friends whose homes were broken into. Chad and Eleanor started designing SimpliSafe products in their own home when they realized there weren’t any solutions available on the market that were geared towards renters. From these humble beginnings, SimpliSafe has become a major competitor in the home security market and was recently acquired by private equity firm Hellman & Friedman.
At SimpliSafe, we place an emphasis on a ‘no-ego’, collaborative culture. From the top down, we all work together to solve the difficult challenges within the home security and IoT industry. We have recently been named in Built In Boston’s ‘Best Places to Work in 2019’ list and in Wealthfront’s ‘2019 Career Launching Companies’ list. Like our products, we are constantly evolving to provide the best employment experience possible. If SimpliSafe sounds like a company you’d enjoy working for, we’d love to hear from you!