We’re a tech company that’s changing how people bank and think about their finances. We value empathy, curiosity, craft and efficacy. Our mission is to help people feel confident with their money. We do that by bringing humanity, elegance and ease to the consumer banking experience.
Risk Management at Simple is responsible for the risk map: driving accountability for managing to the risk tolerance across the business. The team is a component of our Operational Excellence organization, which is responsible for risk, compliance, scalability, and quality. The team includes experts in a variety of risk management fields, and works cross-functionally across the business.
You will work closely with operations, engineering, and product personnel across Simple. You will build relationships that help you understand how the business operates, and use both formal and informal influence to mitigate risks. You will also work with other risk management experts, including legal or information security or consumer compliance, to ensure that operational risks are appropriately controlled. You will work with control specialists at our partner bank and sole investor who are performing oversight for operational risks.
What You’ll Do All Day:
As an Operational Risk Analyst at Simple, you will control a variety of risks across the business. You will influence our policies and practices, how we serve customers, and how our product works. You will have an impact on the vendors we use, the controls we have in place for fraud and operational risk, and how we plan and test the recovery of our systems and processes following a disaster. You’ll do this through:
- Implementing the operational risk assessment (ORA) as a tool for the self-assessment of risk, and the codification of the risk map.
- Measuring and reporting on inherent and residual operational risks to stakeholders, and making recommendations to ensure that decisions are made to ensure residual risk is within the tolerance of the business.
- Operating the BBVA Operational Risk Management (ORM) framework, including coordination of quarterly Risk Management Committee meetings to provide oversight of risk.
- Developing and executing the investigation of large operational losses using standardized Operational Loss Management (OLM) processes.
- Identifying key risks and controls using GRC software, considering the likelihood and impact of risks including an assessment of prior loss exposure and experience.
- Managing the design, and executing the operations of the Simple Third Party Risk Management (TPRM) program, and related vendor management activities.
- Ensure compliance with regulatory guidelines (FFIEC, SR 13-19, and others).
- Developing and conducting various training programs to inform and assist internal stakeholders and external suppliers in understanding how TPRM is conducted within Simple.
- Managing gaps (such as risk assessment control deficiencies, audit findings, and examination criticisms) proactively, to ensure timely remediation when appropriate.
We’d Like To See:
- A minimum of 4 years operational risk and/or third party (vendor) risk management experience.
- Experience managing projects or programs to achieve operational risk objectives.
- Demonstrated exceptional written and verbal communication skills.
- Understanding of current technology and regulatory trends affecting financial institution risk programs.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze control design effectiveness.
- Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks in a high-pressure environment.
- Relevant professional certifications, such as CTPRP, CFE, CISSP, CBCP, or CIA
- Public accounting experience with a Big 4 or regional firm, or experience in internal audit or financial services risk management
Come As You Are:
We recognize the dire lack of diversity in our industry, and we’re not okay with it. We actively seek to address it with our hiring and retention practices, as well as our office culture. Our culture isn’t something employees join, it’s something they build and shape. We believe that every person and their lived experience is integral to building a work environment, and a product that will change the world. If you’re on the fence about whether you’re a fit, we say go for it, and apply!
Why Simple’s a Great Place to Work:
- Competitive salary and inclusive benefits package, including 4-months of 100% paid parental leave, additional PTO for volunteer & advocacy days, and affordable health insurance for partners & families.
- A supportive and nurturing place to work. We know good ideas come from everywhere, so we work to ensure every person feels psychologically safe to take risks and think outside of the box here. Our dog-friendly space provides a wellness room, adjustable desks & ergonomic chairs, monthly on-site acupuncture & massages, all gender restrooms, and dietary & allergy conscious catering.
- Ample opportunity to connect with your coworkers through company-funded Employee Resource Groups & Simple community events.
- We’re committed to hiring quality human beings. Simple is a place where others will watch out for you and help you learn. We like and respect one another.
- We believe that financial confidence belongs to everyone - and we will work to remove every barrier along the way. We sweat the small stuff, and build with intention.
In compliance with federal law, all persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and to complete the required employment eligibility verification document form upon hire. Email our team at email@example.com if you need an accommodation in the application process.
A background check will be required for this opportunity.
Simple provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, or genetics. In addition to federal law requirements, Simple complies with all applicable state and local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location in which the company has employees. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation and training.
By submitting this application, you certify that the facts contained in your application are true and complete to the best of your knowledge. If you are employed, false statements on your application will be grounds for termination.