Principal Engineer (m/f/x)
Full-time and Remote
simpleclub is Germany's most popular digital learning platform. We offer a personalized learning experience to students, powered by the best content. For 1M+ users. Loved by both students and parents, simpleclub makes it easy and fun for students and learners to understand anything related to any subject at school with a stress-free experience. At simpleclub we are all creators and we are on a mission to disrupt the traditional school-based learning system by creating and giving access to great learning content to every student. Check us out on Instagram and TikTok and especially our App.
Created in 2015 by back then students, simpleclub has grown to over 1M users and going. In 2020, simpleclub secured a seed round from HV Capital to accelerate growth.
And this is where you come in:
As a Principal Engineer within the Engineering team, you will be responsible for leading the design of a target architecture, identifying technical debt and implementing strategies to address it. You will be working closely with our VP of Engineering and our Product team in securing the fast performance and scalability aspects of our product.
How will you make an impact:
- You will lead the design of a target architecture, identifying technical debt and implement strategies to address them
- You will be responsible for driving an overall platform technical roadmap
- You will own cost, security, performance, observability and scalability aspects of our infrastructure
- You will develop a deep understanding of our product and company vision that will enable you to anticipate necessary changes to our architecture
- You will mentor other Senior Engineers and Tech Leads and
- You will uphold simpleclub to the highest technical standards
- You will develop a new product functionality and maintain the existing system
Technical skills we value:
- Solid Software Development experience. At least 8 years of software development experience
- Computer Science and Software Development fundamentals. You have strong computer science and software development fundamentals, including object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design and complexity analysis
- Sound knowledge of infrastructure architecture. This includes large-scale distributed systems and cloud solutions such as Google Cloud Platform
- Contribution to multiple product development efforts and initiatives
- Modern System Architecture experience. Exposure to microservice architectures and its observability and knowledge and experience with modern system architectures (cloud based, microservices, serverless, messaging systems etc)
- Deep understanding of cloud native applications requirements and tradeoffs
- A passion for clean architecture
- Infrastructure as code design patterns
- Advanced knowledge of data storage engines, queues and streaming platforms
- Large project experience. Especially in the following areas (but not limited to):
- data migrations,
- legacy systems re-engineering
- Strong Backend knowledge. You have solid experience with some of the back-end technologies we use such as Node.js, GCP, Google Cloud functions, Pub/Sub and/or others
- Solid knowledge of DevOps. You are very familiar with DevOps
- Database and data infrastructure experience. Experience with both NoSQL and SQL databases
- Team-building experience. You have previously interviewed and recruited strong technical profiles and are able to support in growing our team
- Ability to drive technical discussions and facilitate complex decision making
Soft skills we value:
- Outstanding interpersonal skills. You value teamwork,, knowledge sharing, sense of ownership embracing agile development practices
- Excellent written and verbal communication
- Comfortable navigating through change and high ambiguity
- Growth mindset. You are open to receive and provide feedback and to continuously learn
- User centric. You understand the user and you keep them in mind on every technical decision
- Detail and quality-driven approach.
- Highly pragmatic. You are able to always act with a sense of pragmatism and keeping the bigger picture in mind and thinking of the mid/long-term consequences
What is in for you:
- Work from anywhere
- Team events
- A great culture
- Join a purposeful mission
- Open communication
simpleclub welcomes everyone. Yes, everyone:
At simpleclub we are devoted to building an environment that promotes equality, inclusion, and diversity. We are on the path towards expansion and with that, we believe everyone’s uniqueness should be celebrated and embraced. This is critical to our success and innovation. We want to build a product that is loved by everyone and we want the same to be reflected in our teams.
It is key to us that our employees bring themselves to work no matter what age, ethnicity, religion, citizenship, sexual orientation, disability status, neurodiversity, color of your skin, beliefs, gender, or else.
With this in mind, we are working to ensure simpleclub remains a diverse and inclusive environment for everyone.