We understand that you are not waiting for the next pitch about becoming the ‘gem’ in the crown of a rockstar Ruby development team, the eye catcher on the King of Gitflow’s scepter or being on the rails towards success.
Ahum. Here it comes.
Did you hear about Silverfin?
First of all, we build a hell of a product and our customers love us. Even our customers’ customers love us.
Silverfin solves a very real problem: it automates and supercharges a large chunk of the repetitive tasks that people working in financial services spend their time on while improving communication with their customers at the same time.
What about your team?
All development teams at Silverfin are organized to focus on a certain area, service or functional domain - your mission will be bootstrapping third-party integrations, building advanced migration tooling, designing & setting up application frameworks as well as developing a third-party ecosystem based on our Silverfin API.
Yes you will be joining a team in full expansion which means there are a lot of choices yet to be made. This includes building out open sourced content to showcase our API’s towards integration partners, customers and other fintech companies.
Some creativity will be required to make the lives easier of your team members by creating tooling and services. You will be contributing to the Silverfin community and be an ambassador of our API’s by building libraries, showcases, integrations and POC’s.
Working on integration also means interacting with others and bringing engineering excellence towards customers and partners to bring them up to speed quickly so you have more time for the fun stuff - coding!
We are a global company, this team is partially rooted in our Ghent office while full remote working is certainly possible. All remote working colleagues meet us a few times a year (we’ll pay for transport and accommodation).
What are we looking for?
We’re looking for somebody who’s a natural born coder, team player, takes ownership of the team’s mission and resonates with our culture:
- You need to be experienced in both Ruby and Rails and also know where the boundaries lie between them. You need to be able to code in Ruby without any of Rails’ training wheels.
- You enjoy mentoring juniors and giving in-depth feedback during code reviews. While you appreciate the small stuff, you recognize bikeshedding and can avoid its pitfalls.
- You code with reason, document and can justify the important decisions you made during development.
- You know and apply best practices. That means the usual like version control, testing, and refactoring; but also good object-oriented design, DRY, SRP,…
- You're aware of the trade-offs involved in proper engineering and can make balanced business decisions, keeping in mind all the stakeholders of the project.
- You’ve got opinions on code design and you can stand by them, but you’re professional enough to not let them get in the way of a consensus if necessary.
- You have good knowledge and foresight of potential performance issues that might arise when working with large datasets.
- We’re not only working with our own API but also a bunch of external parties who speak JSON, REST, XML, or SOAP. You can not be afraid of WSDL and advanced XML parsing.
What we offer
- Actual, proper work-life balance
- A salary range of €60.000 - €100.000 a year
- Choose your own working hours and work 100% remotely
- Personal growth training and opportunities
- Join a distributed remote-first engineering team with 25 colleagues in 14 different countries
- A refreshing work environment with professional, friendly and welcoming colleagues
- A €1000 yearly budget for conferences, courses, workshops or other expenses that will improve your skills
- You have at least a couple of years of professional experience working with Ruby
- You love working on improving and maintaining a test-driven project
- You join us in Ghent or work fully remote (we require your local timezone to be within CET +/- 3h)
Good to have
- Experience as a mentor for junior developers
- Experience in Fintech
- Accounting knowledge