About the role:
We are looking for a self motivated, technical manager to lead a team of high energy engineers on the Query Compiler team. Sigma's Compiler combines a multi-pass language compiler with a database query planner, in order to generate efficient, readable SQL queries for multiple target data warehouses. These queries power interactive data exploration and analysis workflows in Sigma's various user interfaces. The team is also responsible for developing new evaluation semantics, novel system architectures, and robust testing mechanisms. Your greatest responsibility would be to mentor the engineering team members and unlock their vast potential by challenging them to step outside of their comfort zone, whether reimagining traditional business intelligence or developing innovative analytics capabilities. You will need to be really comfortable working in a fast-paced environment where you will deliver rapidly and incrementally against our roadmap, while occasionally taking time to write and publish about the team's work.
What you will be doing:
- Partner with the staffing team to recruit and build a diverse team of engineers with the right skillset.
- Instill a strong sense of ownership and accountability within the team wherein members hold each other to a high bar.
- Enable the team to realize their potential and help them set and work towards their career development goals.
- Participate in discussions pertaining to the architecture and implementation techniques to represent, translate and optimize user directives into optimized queries.
- Collaborate with cross-functional groups - backend, frontend, design, product, customer support, sales and marketing to understand requirements for innovative features that deliver high customer value.
- Communicate roadmap and execution plans within the team and across the org to ensure alignment.
Qualifications we are looking for:
- Strong computer science fundamentals.
- Solid expertise in Compiler implementation, language interpreter, SQL query optimization and database internals.
- Experience with modern languages like Rust, Go, etc.
- Proven ability to set aggressive, meaningful goals and achieve them.
- 5+ years of technical experience and 2+ years of people management experience.
Sigma is a SaaS, next-generation business intelligence and data exploration platform that is changing the analytics landscape. Sigma offers a spreadsheet-like interface that enables all decision makers to securely analyze up to billions of rows of live data with the unlimited scale and speed of the cloud. With Sigma, everyone can quickly answer their own questions to make and visualize accurate, data-driven decisions.
At Sigma, we believe every person has unique domain expertise that they bring to the table. Our mission is to give everyone the technical abilities to leverage their expertise to drive their business decisions. This idea is fundamental to who we are and how we collaborate and treat each other. We believe we are Smarter Together and what each person brings to the table helps make us (and our company) stronger. How we do this internally is through transparency and Fearless Communication. We explain, we speak up, and we all have the opportunity to contribute to the company. With that communication, we Assume Best Intent and know thats how we approach each other and our customers is with a common goal. We are Curious & Constructive in looking at how we can make our product, company, and community better. With all of these Company Values, we Aim for Greatness, we have big goals that we keep hitting and we continue to reassess how we can set those goals even higher. Come join us to help us be smarter and grow together!
Benefits For Our Full-Time Employees:
- Generous health benefits
- Flexible time off policy. Take the time off you need!
- Flexible schedule, do the work you need to get done in the time you have to get it done
- At least 12 weeks of paid bonding time for all new parents
- Traditional and Roth 401k
- Commuter and FSA benefits
Sigma Computing is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to building a smart and strong team regardless of race, color, ancestry, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, age, citizenship, marital status, disability, gender, gender identity or expression, or veteran status. We look forward to learning how your experience can enable all of us to grow.