Sigma’s vision is to create an insight-driven world where people, organizations, and, ultimately, humanity are transformed for the better by data. At Sigma, we are building a cloud-native business intelligence platform that allows users to tap into their biggest databases hosted in the cloud and easily conduct analysis and graph data. All without any programming involved. We are growing the engineering team and looking for engineers who have the chops to build and deliver world-class technology. You will be part of a talented team of engineers with a shared mission to make data easily accessible.
You are a software engineer with computer science fundamentals who loves solving deep technical problems. You are experienced in creating tools and automation in support of continuous software delivery and monitoring and improving system reliability, scalability, and performance. You have excellent troubleshooting skills and can debug complex systems and performance issues in production environments. You can effortlessly navigate between rapid incident response and implementing processes and tools to improve future system reliability and performance.
- Be responsible for the overall performance and reliability of Sigma’s production services
- Drive effective incident response and resolution. Troubleshoot issues to pinpoint sources of performance degradation or system failures
- Monitor system performance and alerts. Implement measures to fix system issues before customers encounter them
- Build and maintain effective monitoring tools and processes
- Make system alerts meaningful. Create new alerts and put in measures to avoid noisy alerts that are not actionable
- Analyze data on MTTR and MTBF and drive improvements to systems and processes by identifying patterns and areas for improvement
- Be curious about root causes and use troubleshooting experiences to gain deeper knowledge of the components and data processing flows and algorithms
- Keep abreast of industry trends and technologies in cloud architectures and service reliability engineering and champion and drive changes to improve service quality
- Maintain documentation and communicate best practices and knowledge of systems and processes across the product and engineering teams.
Qualifications We Need
- Strong computer science fundamentals. BS in Computer Science
- 3+ years software development experience
- 5+ years experience managing a production SaaS application in AWS, GCP or similar cloud environment
- Experience in production deployments / incident response (e.g., downtime)
- Excellent troubleshooting and debugging skills. Ability to debug system failure and performance issues in production systems across multiple distributed services
- Ability to triage and troubleshoot multiple issues and drive effective resolutions
- Working knowledge of Kubernetes and familiarity with monitoring tools (e.g., Datadog or New Relic)
- Automation experience (scripting deployments, sanity tests etc)
- Passionate about providing a great customer experience
- Curiosity to learn new technologies
- Strong collaboration and communication skills and the ability to work with multiple departments to coordinate issue triaging, diagnosis and resolution
- Desire to be a great teammate and have fun at work
Highly Desirable Skills & Experiences
- Knowledge of AWS
- Startup experience
Sigma is a modern analytics & business intelligence (BI) application built for the cloud. Trusted by data-first companies, Sigma provides live access to cloud data warehouses using an intuitive spreadsheet interface—empowering business experts to ask more of their data without writing a single line of code. With the full power of SQL, the cloud, and a familiar interface, business users have the freedom to analyze data in real time without limits. Sigma is self-service analytics as it was meant to be: a single source of truth that eliminates data extracts, simplifies analysis, and drives BI adoption at every level of business. Sigma is closing the gap between data teams and business experts. To learn more about Sigma, visit www.sigmacomputing.com or join the conversation on Twitter @SigmaComputing.