The Editor of Federal Times develops, plans, prepares and executes content for the Federal Times brand, working with and managing staff and collaborating with colleagues in other departments. The role is responsible for content across all Federal Times platforms – web/mobile, social media, video, newsletters, print and events. The Editor of Federal Times actively works with key federal agencies and industry influencers in the federal IT, procurement, and management sector, positioning Federal Times as the clear sector leader in coverage focus and excellence, market relationships, brand presence and impact, and innovation in coverage. The position also directly manages editorial budget for the brand.
Reporting to the Executive Editor of the Business-to-Government group, the Federal Times editor will infuse innovation, initiative and contemporary edge in content development, pushing the Federal Times editorial team to think outside of the box, and thus drive significant digital traffic growth into the brand. The Editor of Federal Times will make data analytics and social media a driving force in content decisions, deployment and audience response. The position will strive to make Federal Times a leader in video and innovation in product development in the company.
As Editor of Federal Times, the position also acts the brand ambassador and topical expert to the larger federal IT and management community. The role engages with market and industry contacts to obtain knowledge and insight, secure contacts, identify growth opportunity and advance the brand. The position will be actively engaged in events, helping to plan and execute content for Federal Times events and participating in panels at non-proprietary events in the market. The position will come up with new concepts for editorial products that will draw in an audience from the federal IT and management sector and create sponsor interest and business opportunity, and seek to create synergy and collaboration between brands within the group as well as the wider company.
The measure of success for the Editor of Federal Times will be ambitious growth for the brand at a rapid pace of development. Social media audience will grow rapidly, interesting new newsletters will be developed and newsletter lists will grow significantly. Traffic for the web and mobile sites will set an impressive pace as befits the growth sector that is the federal IT sector. Federal Times will be seen as an innovative growth leader in the company, trying and experimenting new concepts, angles and approaches to broaden its interest and appeal while staying true to market mission. In particular, Federal Times content presentation will develop a contemporary edge and appeal designed to deliver viewership. Data analytics will play a central role in the development of content plans and response. Federal Times will grow its event offerings in audience size, leadership participation, market recognition and in number of events, to include awards programs that will become prestigious and signature. The Editor of Federal Times will work closely with the business departments to develop and execute ambitious growth plans for our editorial whitepapers, webcasts, events, special multimedia reports and develop unique video projects and podcast series.
- Lead the day to day editorial operations and development of Federal Times.
- Position develop, plan, prepare and execute content for the Federal Times brand, working with and managing staff and collaborating with colleagues in other departments.
- Develop and grow the Federal Times traffic and audience, engaging in all product platforms - web/mobile, social media, video, newsletters, print and events.
- Play a leadership role for events in establishing concept, agenda, identifying speakers, and working with team to execute events. Act as host/moderator for events as needed. Participate in panels at non-proprietary events as a topical expert.
- Extensive experience in news media in digital, print, social media and video form
- Extensive experience in defense and government IT markets
- Leadership experience
- Experience with events, webcasts and custom products
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism or similar field is preferred