Military Times seeks a dynamic editor to lead a team of experienced reporters and to produce breaking news, enterprise and multimedia reports for MilitaryTimes.com and our family of brands (Army Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times and Marine Corps Times). This editor will oversee the Pentagon and Capitol Hill bureaus and will be a driver on social media platforms and our websites. The editor will execute on spot news, enterprise reports and a number of special reports throughout the year that cover topics such as military pay and benefits and military healthcare.
This editor role is a leadership position in the newsroom – serving in a role that will shape editorial decision-making and help to grow our audience.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter, multitasker and clear communicator who is dedicated to informing those in uniform. He or she must be focused and decisive and adept at spotting news and social media trends to grow our audience and engage with our readers.
Specific Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Editing web stories and developing multimedia packages with slideshows and videos.
- Crafting and rewriting headlines for added punch, viral potential.
- Posting to Military Times social media channels, and experimenting with new social platforms.
- Assisting in production and creation of newsletters.
- Helping to develop print editions of Army Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times and Marine Corps Times.
- Posting and sharing articles from our sister HistoryNet publications (a collection of magazines dedicated to military history)
- Writing editorials.
The ideal candidate brings at least five years editing and/or reporting, and familiarity with military affairs, as evidenced by:
- Strong news judgement
- Quick and accurate editing skills
- A knowledge of the defense and global security market
- Digital journalism prowess
- Assertive, but collaborative management style
- A positive, energetic attitude
- Creativity, digital prowess, and a contemporary approach to storytelling required.
- Familiarity with the military and defense market.
Located outside of Washington, D.C., the Military Times media network (Army Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times and Marine Corps Times) is an independent authority on the U.S. armed forces. We have a proud legacy of producing award-winning investigative journalism. Our reporters cover conflict and overseas contingency operations, military weapons and technology, policymaking at the Pentagon and military personnel issues. We advocate on behalf of rank-and-file service members and their families by asking tough questions of their leaders and aggressively holding to account those who break the rules.