Sightline Media Group, the nation’s leading news enterprise serving the military, defense and federal communities, seeks a Sr. Designer/Art Director for a high-level creative role at its Tyson’s Corner, VA facility. The ideal candidate will be highly interested in defense, military, foreign affairs, innovation, and technology.
Our prestigious, industry-leading media brands: Military Times, Defense News, Federal Times and C4ISRNET – serve the entirety of the defense and federal establishment, from senior leadership to the rank and file US military service members.
To work closely and collaboratively with editors across all brands to: formulate and execute concepts; match each brand’s tone and mission; choose or develop on-point design elements; and design and build compelling print pages and digital presentations.
To lead a team of designers (assigning projects, reviewing work, offering constructive feedback and providing instruction) all while completing production and design projects for daily and weekly deadlines.
- Oversee production of MCO’s publications, using InDesign, Illustrator, PhotoShop and other programs to create high-quality print designs. Responsible for upholding the visual style of each brand, including final quality checks. (60%)
- Assign projects to designers and critique finished product; provide direction and assistance as needed, including revising staff members’ work. (20%)
- Draw on familiarity with military, defense and cyber topics to improve presentation of our brands’ content across all platforms. (10%)
- Direct/execute other design assignments, including infographics, maps, motion graphics. (10%)
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, liberal arts, communications, or similar field is preferred.
- Three to five years’ experience in publishing/journalism and/or graphic design. The right candidate will have experience developing and upholding the visual style and imagery of a print publication and/or website.
- Technical Skills: PC Skills, Word, Illustrator, InDesign, Email
- Experience using a news CMS in a deadline-oriented news operation, as is familiarity with social media platforms and pagination systems.
- Demonstrated ability to effectively use web analytics.
- Basic ability to take and upload photos/videos using mobile phones or digital camera equipment.
- Problem Solving, Analytical Ability, Written Communication, Presentation Skills, Interpersonal Skills, Ability to work independently, Ability to meet deadlines.
Located outside of Washington, D.C., the Military Times media network (Army Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times and Marine Corps Times) is an independent authority on the U.S. armed forces. We have a proud legacy of producing award-winning investigative journalism. Our reporters cover conflict and overseas contingency operations, military weapons and technology, policy-making at the Pentagon and military personnel issues. We advocate on behalf of rank-and-file service members and their families by asking tough questions of their leaders and aggressively holding to account those who break the rules.