Defense News Managing Editor
The prestigious Defense News brand is on the hunt for a digitally savvy managing editor to supervise & direct the work of the most skilled and respected reporters in the defense industry. This individual will work in partnership with the executive editor and digital editor to manage the flow of content from around the globe.
- Work with the design and digital team to ensure the website and print product engage the defense community with varied forms of content that meet the expectations of a contemporary audience, from traditional stories to video and data-driven features.
- Guide reporters, domestic and international, in the full array of editorial approaches to content, from investigative reporting, to narrative writing, beat development and digital content.
- He or she will be a pro at headline writing and social media engagement – guiding reporters in the ability to attract eyeballs without compromising content.
- Coordinate and oversee the smooth editing and production of content.
- The managing editor is a leader in the newsroom, maintaining sweeping knowledge of the content from reporters and contributors.
- Have a constant ear open to the news of the defense industry, forwarding tidbits to reporters and recognizing trends that warrant a deeper dive.
- Keep the editorial team on task, working ahead of deadline, while still being able to adapt to deliver timely and newsworthy content to our devoted audience across all mediums.
Qualifications of the ideal candidate:
- Strong news judgment
- Quick and accurate editing skills
- A knowledge of the defense and global security market
- Digital journalism prowess
- Assertive, but collaborative management style
- A positive, energetic attitude
- Creativity, digital prowess, and a contemporary approach to storytelling required.
- The ideal candidate has at least 5 years of relevant journalism experience.
- Familiarity with the defense and national security community a plus.