Sightline Media Group, the nation’s leading news enterprise serving the military, defense and federal communities, seeks journalism interns for a significant editorial support role at its Tyson’s Corner, VA facility.
Our prestigious, industry-leading media brands: Military Times, Defense News, Federal Times and C4ISRNET – serve the entirety of the defense and federal establishment, from senior leadership to the rank and file US military service members.
We are looking for solid journalism students, ideally in Masters programs, and with a deep interest in defense, military, enterprise IT, geopolitics and national security issues. Prior military service is a huge plus, and will be strongly preferred. We also seek veterans for a wide variety of full time roles at our company.
An internship on the Military Times digital desk will provide journalism students with unparalleled experience covering military affairs and national security issues. Our newsroom is fast-paced, deadline driven, and we have incredibly high standards for all of our journalists.
Interns will be immersed in our operations, consulted on key editorial decisions and expected to produce a variety of content every day. You’ll be highly marketable upon completion of the internship.
Located outside of Washington, D.C., Military Times is an independent authority on the U.S. armed forces. We have a proud legacy of producing award-winning journalism. Our reporters cover conflict and overseas contingency operations, military weapons and technology, policymaking at the Pentagon and military personnel issues. We advocate on behalf of rank-and-file service members and their families by asking tough questions of their leaders and aggressively holding to account those who break the rules.
Candidates must live in Washington DC metro. Writing sample submissions required.
- Smart aggregation of news content for Military Times’ digital audience
- Reporting and writing for longer news features and special projects;
- Headline writing
- Wire editing
- Video and photo editing; digital article enhancement;
- Other editorial duties as assigned.
- Journalistic background with experience writing for web and digital audiences
- An ability to structure and write a basic news story following the “inverted pyramid.”
- Basic reporting skills.
- Familiarity with content management systems.
- Familiarity with basic video editing software and techniques.
- Familiarity with AP style and basic grammar.
- Ability to work at company office from 11am to 5pm or 12noon to 6pm, two days per week.