Reporting to the (remote) Global Head of Human Resources, and based in Tysons, VA, the incumbent will be the HR leader for the Sightline Media Group and HistoryNet businesses, both subsidiary business of parental holding company, Regent Companies.
With general direction and considerable latitude for independent judgment and discretion, this position provides HR leadership, guidance, and support to the business, within a turn-around environment. Incumbent within this role will be expected to build trust, credibility, and effectively partner with employees and management in driving the identification, development, and implementation of HR policies and procedures and other organizational development needs of the business.
Balancing the prioritization of long-term needs with tactical execution, the HR Manager will serve as a business partner to senior leadership regarding the execution of business strategy or other needs related to Human Resources initiatives by identifying opportunities and create solutions to enhance organizational effectiveness.
The HR Manager also oversees all aspects of the worksite facility, including direct managerial oversight of the onsite Office Manager.
- Enable timely and effective delivery of core day-to-day HR operations.
- Assume complete ownership for the processing and submittal for payroll and related post-processing reporting. Ensure a smooth integration to ancillary payroll touch-point processing, such as 401k, health benefits, COBRA administration, etc.
- Partner with HR colleagues and local organizational leaders to ensure consistency in the application of company policies, procedures and best practices.
- Ensure that the company is compliant with applicable employment laws.
- Escalate and partner employee relations issues, investigations or matters to other leaders within the HR organization.
- Understand company and/or departmental strategies and present the respective leader(s) with unsolicited value-added ideas and solutions. Offer recommendations for improvement or issue resolution.
- Conduct research, analyze data and prepare reports as needed to support Human Resources initiatives
- Maintain employee records in a manner that is compliant with regulatory bodies as well as consistent with organizational standards.
- Complete special projects as requested or apparent. Projects may be of a moderately complex nature and entail some knowledge and understanding of a particular area within the Human Resources arena.
- Maintain an awareness and current Human Resources principles, practices and the related regulatory environment, which may involve attending training sessions or maintenance of memberships with professional work groups and attending trainings, seminars, and other business-related conferences.
Knowledge of employment law and Human Resources functional and operational management, as normally obtained through the completion of a Bachelor’s Degree and extensive formal Human Resources related training, is required to perform the essential functions as previously listed.
Ideal candidates will possess a Master’s Degree in Human Resources Management, Organizational Development or related field. A professional certification in Human Resources administration is preferred although not required.
Work Experience or Related Experience:
Nature of the role requires a comprehensive, advanced level of knowledge of human resources practices, company policies and procedures as well as the ability to plan and manage internal employee programs as described. The ability to perform complex HR activities as described above, as normally obtained through 8-10 years of experience in a directly related role is expected.
Specialized Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Excellent communication, listening and interpersonal skill are key. The ability to build trust, maximize relationships, and interact with all levels, from hourly employees to senior management, are essential.
- The knowledge and ability to serve as a subject matter expert (“go to resource”) for all employees within the business is essential.
- Strong data gathering and analysis skills, utilizing reports, spreadsheets, web-based applications, and other software tools.
- Demonstrated ability to analyze situations, make an accurate assessment, and resolve simple to complex issues is essential. The ability to recognize opportunities and assess risks before they become trends is necessary.
- Very strong planning, prioritization, organizational and time management skills, orientation to detail and a high commitment to customer satisfaction are required. The ability to multi-task and handle competing priorities with deadlines are required.
- The ability to provide information/direction, effectively express ideas, advice and solutions both verbally and in writing is required.
- Extensive knowledge of HR/personnel practices and principles is required, as is knowledge of applicable labor, pay, benefits, and health and safety laws.
- The ability to handle and maintain a high level of confidentiality and common sense regarding sensitive employee information is essential.
- Experience in a start-up environment is highly desired, but not required. In addition, the ability to work independently and seek out answers and resources is required.