Sightline Media Group is the leading news organization covering military, defense, public sector, federal technology, C4ISR and cyber defense. Our independent, award-winning journalism offers coverage from around the globe, from Sightline headquarters in the Washington, DC area to bureaus and correspondents in the U.S. and around the world. One of Sightline's brands, Military Times, is a trusted, independent source of news and information directly affecting service members, veterans and their families. Our readers are troops deployed and in garrison, veterans, family members, decision-makers at the Pentagon, Capitol Hill and at military bases throughout the world.
Sightline Media Group has an opening for a senior managing editor to lead our rapid response news desk for Military Times, the leading news outlet covering national security for U.S. troops and veterans.
The rapid response team involves shaping our coverage from the Pentagon and Capitol Hill, overseeing the Early Bird Brief which goes to more than 400,000 readers each morning, culling commentary and opinion pieces, and helping to ensure our readers have the most up to date information they need.
Our approach is to think of the reader first, and this editor will work with teams across the newsroom to ensure the web site and print issues do just that through traditional stories, exclusives and explainers.
You will lead a collaborative editing team that values accuracy, clarity and definitive storytelling. We want someone who looks past buzzwords, won’t be easily led and thinks hard about the consequences of every decision, especially on deadline.
This job includes:
- Guiding talented reporters in the full array of editorial approaches to journalism, from aggregation to narrative writing, to maximizing evolving breaking stories. Coordinating and overseeing the smooth editing and production of stories.
- Helping to lead the newsroom.
- Communicating clearly with reporters from other newsroom teams to ensure we maximize resources, advance the day’s news and consistently dig out scoops of consequence.
- Roughly 90% of this job focuses on digital and benefits from a knowledge of the web, newsletters, and social media as well as print.
Our ideal candidate has at least five years of relevant journalism experience and:
- A mix of copy-editing talent and supervisory editing skills to help guide daily stories and present them to get attention. You’re a pro at spotting errors, championing style and writing headlines, leads and nut grafs.
- Experience editing for print to help create pages for the monthly Military Times print edition.
- The ability to execute a variety of editor tasks, such as vetting op-eds and freelance pitches, helping with social media posts and strategy and curating homepages.
- Strong news judgement and critical thinking.
- A collaborative, but assertive management style.
- A positive, energetic attitude.
- Creativity and a contemporary approach to storytelling.