Sightline Media Group has an opening for a staff editor to work on a variety of publications, including C4ISRNET, the home for Defense News’ reporting on military communications and many emerging technologies, and Federal Times, the essential news source for U.S. government employees.
C4ISRNET and Defense News are leading news outlets covering the business side of national security. Our readers are decision-makers at the Pentagon, Capitol Hill and at military bases throughout the world.
You will join a collaborative editing team that values accuracy, clarity and definitive storytelling. We want someone who looks past buzzwords, won’t be easily led and thinks hard about the consequences of every decision.
This job requires:
- A mix of copy-editing talent and supervisory editing skills to help guide daily stories and present them to get attention. You’re a pro at spotting errors, championing style, and writing headlines, leads and nutgraphs.
- Comfort with building pages in a content management system to serve as an authority on style and technical requirements.
- An appetite for a bustling editing workload that, at times, will require you to move high volumes of stories while never compromising journalistic standards.
- Know-how on managing email newsletters and editing for print to help create pages for the monthly Defense News magazine.
- Ability to execute a variety of other editor tasks, such as vetting op-eds and freelance pitches, helping with social media posts and strategy, and curating homepages.
- At least one to three years in a news-editing job.
You are encouraged to write for our defense and federal government publications when time allows. While our team is based in Washington, D.C., this position could be a remote job.
We pride ourselves on covering the business, politics and technology that is critical to national security and to federal workers. Founded in 1986, Defense News has a team of nearly 25 reporters, editors and correspondents worldwide. Sightline Media also owns Military Times, Air Force Times, Marine Corps Times, Army Times and Navy Times.