Sightline Media Group is the leading news organization covering military, defense, public sector, federal technology, C4ISR and cyber defense. Our independent, award-winning journalism offers coverage from around the globe, from Sightline headquarters in the Washington, DC area to bureaus and correspondents in the U.S. and around the world. One of Sightline's brands, Military Times, is a trusted, independent source of news and information directly affecting service members, veterans and their families. Our readers are troops deployed and in garrison, veterans, family members, decision-makers at the Pentagon, Capitol Hill and at military bases throughout the world.
At Military Times, we are looking for two reporters to help drive our daily report for our new rapid response desk. One reporter will also assume the key role of editing the Early Bird Brief, our early morning compendium of the best of military coverage from news sources around the globe. That reporter will work a M-F 5 am to 2 pm shift. The other reporter will work a M-F 6 am to 3 pm shift.
The Early Bird Brief editor will be responsible for compiling, editing and disseminating the Early Bird Brief from 5a to 6:30 a then working on stories the rest of the shift.
Both reporters will report and write assigned stories and develop sources to break news, aggregate news content from around the world, and help fill out our beat coverage.
Job responsibilities include:
- Rapidly report and write stories that are accurate in fact and context, highly readable and help the reader make sense of the complex world of the military and veterans.
- Work with our award-winning team of editors and reporters to find, report and publish stories early in the daily news cycle, building out with additional details as needed.
- Quickly find and develop sources who can help you break news and add the context to your stories that our readers have come to expect.
- A minimum of two years of experience at a news organization.
- Strong writing and reporting skills and familiarity with AP style.
- Work well under pressure and be able to simultaneously handle multiple assignments.
- Ability to find and develop sources.
- Have a solid grasp of the role social media plays in news gathering, dissemination and branding and how to maximize its use to grow audience.
- Previous coverage of national security is strongly preferred. Video production skills preferred, but not required. Veterans greatly encouraged to apply.
We want someone who looks past buzzwords, won’t be easily led and thinks hard about the consequences of every decision. Our editors value accuracy, clarity and a good story.
MilitaryTimes.com is a part of the Sightline Media Group, formerly known as the Army Times Publishing Company, which first published Army Times in 1940. Throughout its history, the company has a strong heritage and tradition of meeting the highest standards of independent journalism and has expanded with publications serving all branches of the U.S. military, the global defense community, the U.S. federal government, and several special interest, defense-oriented industry sectors.
MilitaryTimes.com provides quality, unbiased reporting on issues important to the military community.