Sightline Media Group (SMG) is the leading news organization covering military, defense, public sector, federal technology, C4ISR and cyber defense. Its publications include Defense News, Military Times, Army Times, Navy Times, Marine Corps Times, Air Force Times, C4ISRNET, and Federal Times. Sightline’s award-winning journalism offers coverage from around the globe, while headquartered in the Washington, DC area. Sightline Media offers advertisers a wide range of platforms to reach their target audience. From digital and mobile solutions to events, to thought leadership, publications, video and custom options, Sightline works with clients on opportunities that have credibility, integrity, engagement and impact. Visit sightlinemediagroup.com for more information.
C4ISRNET, one of Sightline's brands, is looking for a digitally savvy editor to supervise and direct the work of some of the most skilled and respected reporters in the defense and IT industry. This individual will work with other editors in Sightline’s Business to Government group to manage the strategic approach to content as well as the flow of content online and to the Defense News print magazine.
Our approach is to think of the reader first and this editor will work with the design and digital teams to ensure the web site and magazine do just that through traditional stories, exclusives, explainers, videos and data-driven features.
Specific Job Duties and Responsibilities
- Guide reporters in the full array of editorial approaches to content, from investigative reporting, to narrative writing, beat development and digital content.
- Coordinate and oversee the smooth editing and production of content.
- Be a leader in the newsroom - maintain sweeping knowledge of the stories from reporters and contributors.
- Help plan and organize speakers and panels for events. This includes both the annual C4ISRNET conference and Cyber Con events.
- Work closely with the marketing and advertising team on custom projects.
- Maintain a pulse on the Defense and technology markets
- Serve as an in-house pro for headline writing and social media engagement
The ideal candidate brings at least five years of relevant journalism experience, as evidences by the following
- Strong news judgement and critical thinking
- Quick and accurate editing skills
- Digital journalism prowess
- A collaborative, but assertive management style
- A positive, energetic attitude
- Creativity and a contemporary approach to storytelling.
- A knowledge of the defense IT and global security market is a plus.