Sightline Media Group is the leading news organization covering military, defense, public sector, federal technology, C4ISR and cyber defense. Our independent, award-winning journalism offers coverage from around the globe, from Sightline headquarters in the Washington, DC area to bureaus and correspondents in the U.S. and around the world. Sightline Media offers our business clientele a wide range of platforms to reach the market. From digital and mobile solutions to events, thought leadership, publications, video and custom options, Sightline works with clients on opportunities that have credibility, integrity, engagement and impact.
The Associate Editor for Multimedia leads video and multimedia efforts for Defense News, as well as Sightline Media’s other business-to-government brands (Federal Times, C4ISRNET and Fifth Domain). Primary responsibilities center around production of the weekly television show, Defense News Weekly, the daily Defense News Minute feature, custom video projects, and day-to-day reporting on the defense market, as well as coverage of domestic & international trade shows and Sightline Media events. The role also involves close cooperation with sister outlet Military Times.
The Associate Editor for Multimedia should have a functional understanding of the U.S. government, and experience either with or covering the military or defense industry is highly preferred. In addition to strong production and editing skills, experience in front of the camera as a field reporter or other talent is essential.
- Video production
- This role is responsible for producing the weekly TV show Defense News Weekly, including booking guests, writing segments, filming interviews and coordinating production and delivery of the show.
- This role is also responsible for writing and producing the daily Defense News Minute, as well as other daily videos each week
- This role leads video coverage of international and domestic trade shows, including coordinating interviews, filming displays and events, as well as field producing.
- On-air reporting and hosting
- It is envisioned that this role will also be as host of the Defense News Weekly TV show, as well as being part of the rotating pool for the Defense News Minute. An effective on camera presence will be required.
- This role will also be called upon to front different video pieces, both in-studio and in the field. The ability to operate off-script is a must.
- Applicants must be comfortable interviewing senior leaders from the military, Congress, and defense industry, as well as hosting coverage of different events and topics.
- Video shooting and editing:
- The ability to shoot video, particularly multi camera shoots, is highly critical to the position.
- Experience shooting video of high performance aircraft, sports or similar is also helpful.
- Experience with multiple types of cameras and styles is a must.
- Proficiency in Adobe Premiere Pro or similar software is also required.
- Multicamera editing & basic graphics production is also preferred
- The ability to rapidly setup shoots on location is a must.
- Event lead
- This role coordinates video coverage of Sightline Media Group events, including three annual conferences, and multiple local trade shows.
- Work includes handling logistics, coordinating schedules and organizing said coverage.
- Sales & marketing support:
- This role is responsible for liaison with the company’s sales and marketing team, helping to ensure the execution of video sponsorships goes smoothly, as well as helping to innovate new ways for those sponsorships to succeed.
- The role also leads custom video for Defense News, working to execute that portfolio.
- This job will also help editorial leadership develop new multimedia products, such as video series, recurring TV segments and more.
- Bachelor’s degree in journalism, communications or related discipline or demonstrated experience
- 4+ years’ experience working in a digital or broadcast journalism environment, with experience both behind and in front of the camera
- Ability to work effectively with people across the company to get things done
- Proficiency in video editing software such as Adobe Premiere Pro, as well as the ability to work in other Adobe programs as needed
- Interest in covering the military or defense industry
- Knowledge of video lighting, sound and other related skills
- Ability to shoot video in a fast-moving environment
- Ability to produce on-site video interviews and other productions
- Exceptional organizational and time-management skills
- Excellent communication skills
- Highly process-driven with excellent prioritization and attention to detail
- Willingness to travel, sometimes with short notice
- Positive attitude and high level of diplomacy
- Knowledge & experience in either covering or working in international affairs
- Experience writing for both television and online
- Knowledge & experience in either covering or working in the military or defense industry
Why Work With Us:
- Full benefits (health insurance, dental, vision, 401(k), short term & long term disability, etc...)
- Free gym in the office building
- Shuttle to the metro
- Monthly team lunches
- Casual dress code
- Opportunity to give back to the community