Sightline Media Group is the nation’s leading news enterprise serving the Military, Defense, and Federal communities. Our prestigious and industry-leading media brands include: Military Times, Defense News, Federal Times and C4ISRNET, and serve the entirety of the defense and federal establishment, from senior leadership to the rank and file US military service members. Military Times, one of Sightline's brands, is looking for a morning editor to both oversee our “Early Bird Brief” daily newsletter and support the editing team during the morning and early afternoon shift.
The Early Bird Brief is a highly influential email newsletter that is distributed weekdays at 7 am to nearly 200,000 military and defense industry professionals. It is a compilation of news headlines and links reflecting the top national security and military stories of the day, designed to offer the military community a quick summary of current global news developments.
***Note this is an early morning shift that will typically run from 5/6 am to 1/2 pm five days a week.***
After sending the Early Bird Brief newsletter, the editor will provide a full range of support to help the newsroom get up and running each morning. That will include spot news reporting, copy editing and publishing online news, and providing production support for our biweekly print publications.
Job duties would include:
- Tracking daily news reports from both Military Times and external news organizations and exercising new judgement to compile the daily Early Bird Brief.
- Editing and ensuring the timely distribution of the Early Bird Brief newsletter.
- Reporting and writing news stories for publication online and in print.
- Copy editing and providing support to other editors in preparing stories for publication and social media distribution in the morning.
- Supporting the print production process by editing stories and headlines for print editions, selecting photos, editing captions, and preparing or assigning graphic elements for pages.