Military Times is produced by Sightline Media, the leading news media organization covering military, defense, public sector, federal technology, C4ISR and cyber defense. Sightline Media offers our business clientele a wide range of platforms to reach the market. From digital and mobile solutions to events, thought leadership, publications, video and custom options, Sightline works with clients on opportunities that have credibility, integrity, engagement and impact.
The Engagement Editor for our Military Times brands will help the editorial teams maximize the impact of their content on digital platforms using proven techniques combined with an authentic voice.
The Engagement Editor will be deeply embedded in the content creation and decision making of the editorial teams, informing them on trending stories, suggesting social-friendly formats and pushing alternative methods of distribution for the brands’ content. This person will be able to “speak” military, leverage their knowledge of the community and recognize what can both inform and entertain the audience. At the same time, the Engagement Editor must act as a subject matter expert on social distribution best practices and help monitor the editorial team’s workflow to maximize reach.
The Military Times Engagement Editor will also play a key role in “viral” content creation around topics that are trending with the military affinity audience.
- Assist in building, maintaining and tracking weekly social media posting schedule
- Coordinate with brand editors on repurposing, rewriting, sharing and optimizing trending social media content
- Apply paid boosts to content based on analytic alerts and editorial promotion initiatives
- Coach newsroom staff in use of new social media tactics to improve their journalism
- Help identify and recruit influencer network and manage newsroom efforts with the network
- Lead newsroom efforts at curation and crowdsourcing
- Establish and manage syndication partnerships
- Experiment with new engagement tools such as FB Live, Periscope, IG TV and podcasts
- Produce original content for all platforms that is tied to audience engagement
- Bachelor’s degree in English, journalism, marketing or related field
- Minimum 2 years professional social media experience
- Hands-on experience using social media for brand awareness and storytelling
- Writing, copy editing and proofing experience in a digital publishing environment
- Possesses a strong eye for detail and research
- Ability to plan, prioritize, monitor and respond to changes quickly
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Ability to multitask and monitor several projects and accounts on a daily basis
- Ability to work well under pressure and manage time effectively
- Excellent media relations skills
- Proficiency in Microsoft Office Suite, Photoshop and InDesign, and knowledge and skills in photography
- Experience in Google Analytics, Google AdWords and SEO preferred
- Intimate knowledge of social media platforms such as Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Pinterest and YouTube and familiarity with social analytics tools