The Military Times group comprises Army Times, Navy Times, Air Force Times and Marine Corps Times. Established in 1940, Military Times has earned its role as part of the fabric of the U.S. military community, playing an important role as the premier, dedicated, independent news source for the active-duty military, their families, veteran and retirees.
Military Times is produced by Sightline Media, the leading news media organization covering military, defense, public sector, federal technology, C4ISR and cyber defense. Sightline Media offers our business clientele a wide range of platforms to reach the market. From digital and mobile solutions to events, thought leadership, publications, video and custom options, Sightline works with clients on opportunities that have credibility, integrity, engagement and impact.
The Military Times is looking for a savvy content creator and strategic leader to broaden the scope of our content and drive engagement around voice and analysis that reflects the post-9/11 military generation and veteran zeitgeist, as well as the tradition and honor of service. The position will lead a small team to develop lifestyle and affinity-based content that addresses the experience, attitude and ethos of military service and highlights issues that affect service members, families and the wide-ranging veteran community. The team will also draw upon our history resources to develop content on military lore and tradition that appeals to the community. In addition to a primary digital focus, the editor will help curate a cultural section in the bi-weekly print editions. The position will also curate special sections of our digital site: Hall of Valor, and Honor the Fallen.
The position and team will work to integrate all content activity with the editors of our Military Times news division. The editor will work closely with all Military Times news reporters and editors, and will report into the Senior Editor, Digital Operations.
Strategy will include use of various content formats – video, photo, blog, digital native forms and styles as well as traditional text - in content plans that aim to engage and drive viewership traffic. The editor will help shape a stream of timely, topical, edgy, humorous and iconic content that compliments the Military Times daily news reporting. The Culture and Community desk also directly engage with the Military Times brands’ social media audiences to further engage and grow the brand’s influence on social platforms.
Specific duties will include:
- Develop content concepts and write timely features and smart aggregation. This is a hands-on writing and editing role, editorial chops are required.
- Produce and curate photo and video content within the scope of military culture, history and community. Develop and resurface “evergreen” content, develop new content sources.
- Design and produce visual features, slides, infographics, maps, memes, polls, consumer and cultural reviews, interactive features, and other innovative forms of story-telling.
- Cultivate and manage a team of military culture content creators. Develop options and ideas for partnerships, potential free-lance talent.
- Maintain close working relationship with the Military Times news team, digital team and video team to be on top of current news analysis and create features that develop off the news cycle.
- Contribute to development of Military Life section of Military Times print editions.
- Work with interdisciplinary teams of editorial and business leader on special editorial projects that fall within a lifestyle domain. g., a community-based feature series or digital section on cars or motorcycles, or on guns and gear.
- Manage special sections of the Military Times digital site: Hall of Valor, and Honor the Fallen.
- Support Military Times’ veterans and military community outreach efforts.
Required Functional & Technical Qualifications:
- At least two years of reporting experience, with familiarity of military affairs.
- Experience in multi-media production
- Strong knowledge of social media for use as both a reporting tool and a publishing platform
- Experience covering issues, government agencies or stakeholders related to the beat is important. These include: the military, veterans, higher education, careers and entrepreneurship.