About the Team:
Sift is looking for a Senior Legal Counsel to join our Legal & Compliance team to lead our commercial function and contribute to our legal strategy as we grow and scale domestically and internationally. You will work closely with and report to our Head of Legal and Compliance, based in our San Francisco office. As a member of a small team, you will have significant opportunities for growth and professional development. We are a team that aims to execute quickly, but thoughtfully, always balancing risk with business objectives.
What We’re Looking For:
In this newly-created position, you will be primarily responsible for drafting and negotiating complex commercial contracts with Sift’s larger and more sophisticated enterprise clients and vendors. Due to the nature of our business (online fraud prevention), the role requires a strong understanding of online data and related data protection issues. Depending on your interests and career goals, there is an opportunity to grow into a more generalist role and/or expand into other legal substantive areas.
What you’ll do:
- Act as a strategic business partner to review, draft, and negotiate on a range of domestic and international commercial agreements, particularly focusing on our SaaS-based online fraud prevention services for enterprise level customers and channel partners.
- Manage, mentor and grow our Commercial Counsel who works on a wide range of commercial agreements (e.g., our core services agreements, licensing agreements, reseller agreements, vendor agreements, and non-disclosure agreements) and drives our contract management system/process. Collaborate in the development of Sift’s commercial contracts workflows to develop a scalable, business-centric approach.
- Have a customer-centric approach by providing practical, decisive guidance across functions that balances business objectives and legal risk.
- Assist with financing and/or M&A activity as needed.
- Depending on your career interests and goals, you will have the opportunity to expand into other legal substantive areas (e.g., product/privacy counseling, employment, international expansion, corporate governance, intellectual property).
What makes you a strong fit:
- JD required. Bar admission and in good standing in at least one state with ability to register as in-house counsel in CA.
- 7-10 years of commercial transactions and/or privacy experience (combination of law firm and in-house preferred)
- Solid understanding of data protection laws (e.g., GDPR, CCPA) as they apply to online data and relate to commercial transactions. CIPP certification a plus, but not required.
- Experience in online fraud prevention or FinTech a huge plus.
- Entrepreneurial mindset with the ability to successfully work independently, but also to use good judgment and escalate issues when needed.
A little about us:
Sift is the leading innovator in Digital Trust & Safety. Hundreds of disruptive, forward-thinking companies like Airbnb, Zillow, and Twitter trust Sift to deliver outstanding customer experience while preventing fraud and abuse.
The Sift engine powers Digital Trust & Safety by helping companies stop fraud before it happens. But it’s not just another anti-fraud platform: Sift enables businesses to tailor experiences to each customer according to the risk they pose. That means fraudsters experience friction, but honest users do not. By drawing on insights from our global network of customers, Sift allows businesses to scale, win, and thrive in the digital era.
Benefits and Perks:
- Competitive total compensation package
- 401k plan
- Medical, dental and vision coverage
- Wellness reimbursement
- Education reimbursement
- Flexible time off
- Catered meals
Sift is an equal opportunity employer. We make better decisions as a business when we can harness diversity in thought, experience, data, and background. Sift is working toward building a team that represents the worldwide customers that we serve, inclusive of people from all walks of life who can bring their full selves to work every day, so we can Win as One Team.