Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an urban innovation company that tackles cities' greatest challenges. We create products and solutions, invest in new companies, and help developers build more sustainable, innovative, and equitable places around the world. Our ambitious vision requires us to push ourselves beyond conventional thinking, and we work hard in pursuit of our mission. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
Our urban innovations include Delve (a generative design product that empowers real estate teams to design better, faster, with less risk), Mesa (an easy-install kit for commercial buildings that cuts energy costs, improves tenant comfort, and simplifies building operations), Pebble (a low-cost vehicle sensor to help manage parking and curb space), and Affordable Electrification (a new way to manage home energy use to meet a customer’s monthly budget). We're also developing an offsite construction company that can deliver high-quality mass timber buildings for more sustainable living and working.
With the potential to radically improve quality of life in cities for all, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
Mass Timber Factory
We are building a new construction company delivering high-quality mass timber buildings for more sustainable living and working. We combine timber craft and advanced manufacturing to produce building parts that can be assembled on-site to make residences, offices, and more.
We bring together skilled workers and professionals from manufacturing, timber, construction, architecture, and more backgrounds. We’re building our own factory, and are currently refining our production processes together.
Together we design, build, optimize, and drive our quality craft timber work to scale. We’re improving over time with automated fabrication, better equipment, and tighter processes.
What is the role?
We are bringing together timber craftsmen and production workers to build beautiful, sustainable buildings from different factory-made components. You will be a detail orientated, highly professional, timber framer/woodworker in our production team, working in our shop in Jefferson County, WA.
The day-to-day work will be focused on producing and fabricating different parts of our building modules and leading a variety of timber frame and general carpentry tasks in a shop setting. We work through all stages, from layout, to fabrication, finish and erection of timber frames. You’ll need to stay coordinated on and off the shop floor.
We will look to you for:
- Oversight of a fabrication team of 20 people working on:
- Finished timber structure going from raw material, CNC milled to finished product out the door
- Various building components going from raw structure to a finished product
- Install and maintain safety procedures and standards
- Have timber frame/woodworking skills and the ability to teach the craft and skills to others
- Oversight of a team performing interior fit out of shop facility:
- Take a completed shell building and turn into a functional workshop producing modular timber components
- Oversight of contractors facilitating the fit out of shop systems
- Oversight of contractors installing specialized equipment for fabrication
- Manage a team performing logistics at temp facility
- Manage inbound and outbound logistics of materials and finished components
- Manage the equipment associated with logistics
- Manage the schedule of operations
- Manage fabrication of facade components for a 20k ft2 demonstration project
- Manage production of components built in house for a 20k ft2 demonstration project
Other key responsibilities include managing others doing:
- Layout, fabrication, finish and erection of timber frames
- Reading and interpreting blueprints, drawings and specifications
- Performing precision layout of timber frames for structural frames, decorative features, stair systems and other timber frame applications
- Fabricating, assembles and finishes timbers using shop equipment, portable hand and power tools
- Assuring materials and products meet quality standards and job specifications
- Maintaining shop environment, tools and equipment
- Inspects and maintains job materials and supplies as required for assigned tasks
What We Expect
- An experienced carpenter / woodworker / timber framer, cabinet builder and have a minimum of 10 years of experience managing shop production in a timber frame or general carpentry shop.
- Must be able to demonstrate skills in reading drawings and 3-D models, geometry skills, have knowledge of hand and power tools, equipment, and materials relating to woodworking and carpentry.
- An individual with personal qualities that will complement our team. Applicants must have a willingness to take direction and work well with others; ability and willingness to work independently; have a positive and cooperative attitude; and demonstrate personal integrity and sense of responsibility.
We also expect you have:
- A deep passion for the process of engineering, design, and fabrication of physical objects.
- A desire to be part of and help create a tight knit team of dynamic professionals to bring complex concepts to life.
- A desire to change the architecture, engineering and construction industry in a fundamental way.
We are very excited to hear from you.
Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from underrepresented communities. Even if you are not 100% sure you are right for the role, please apply and we will be happy to consider your application. All employment is based on merit and business need, and we respond to each application we receive.