Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an urban innovation company that tackles cities' greatest challenges. We create products and solutions, invest in new companies, and help developers build more sustainable, innovative, and equitable places around the world. Our ambitious vision requires us to push ourselves beyond conventional thinking, and we work hard in pursuit of our mission. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
Our urban innovations include Delve (a generative design product that empowers real estate teams to design better, faster, with less risk), Mesa (an easy-install kit for commercial buildings that cuts energy costs, improves tenant comfort, and simplifies building operations), Pebble (a low-cost vehicle sensor to help manage parking and curb space), and Affordable Electrification (a new way to manage home energy use to meet a customer’s monthly budget). We're also developing an offsite construction company that can deliver high-quality mass timber buildings for more sustainable living and working.
With the potential to radically improve quality of life in cities for all, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
Pebble is a low cost, easy-to-install vehicle occupancy sensor that we are working on bringing to market. It’s a combination of hardware and software that makes it special, and the team is small but growing rapidly as the product matures, pilots are signed on, and interest from developers/cities/parking operators grows. We currently have functions for sales, firmware/hardware/software engineering, design, field operations, and Product Managers.
You will be a key member of Sidewalk’s Operations team, working to install and maintain our equipment to ensure our customers get the best experience with our services.
We are looking for an experienced Field Operations Technician to:
- Represent Sidewalk Labs in the field, through product installations, repair or replacement, according to Sidewalk schedules, procedures, and standards
- Manage all on-site installation, repair, maintenance and testing of Pebble hardware
- Train and coordinate installation, repair, maintenance and field testing with a 3rd party Field Services Provider
- Conduct customer site surveys (either onsite or remotely via Google maps), design network and deployment plans
- Define service problems, collect data, establish facts, and draw valid conclusions about work needed to be performed, in collaboration with the engineering team as needed
- Cooperate with cross-functional teams and share information across the organization
- Build positive relationships with customers
- Follow safe work practices and accident prevention procedures while working alone or with others
- Deliver systems training with city representatives, third party contractors, and others as required.
What we expect:
- You have hands-on experience with survey, installation and troubleshooting of electromechanical systems, typically acquired through 3-5 years of experience
- You have a Bachelor’s Degree, Associates Degree or a Technical School Certification in a related field (or equivalent education, plus customer support and project coordination experience)
- You have the ability to troubleshoot, test, repair and service technical equipment
- You can analyze data trends to determine if equipment meet performance criteria
- You are proficient working with spreadsheets and computer-based applications
- You have a great mechanical aptitude and are proficient working with various mechanical hand and powered tools
- You have the ability to work well with others in a collaborative team environment
- You have an outstanding interpersonal and communication skills (both written and verbal); particularly in a customer-facing environment
Schedule and travel:
- You are reliable, self-motivated, and have the ability to work independently and manage your own schedule
- You have the ability to stay organized in a fast-paced environment with aggressive timelines. Most work is done during regular business hours, but there may be installs and projects that occasionally require overnight and/or weekend work.
- You have the ability to travel for up to 2 weeks at a time to various project sites
Physical demands and professional image:
- You must project a professional image while being able to meet the physical demands of the job. You have the ability to work at heights, climb ladders and stairs, lift heavy objects and work on your feet for long periods of time.
What you have to achieve:
- Within your first month, you will have integrated into the Pebble team and built a deep understanding of the product and Pebble’s operations practice
- By the end of month three, you will have completed all the product and field support training, and have supported a field installation and/or maintenance under the supervision of our Operations Manager
- By the end of month six, you are completely comfortable supporting field installations and maintenance independently
Note: while this position requires being on the field for up to 50% of the time, candidates in the San Francisco area are preferred to be able monitor and maintain our internal deployment in San Francisco.
We are very excited to hear from you.
Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from underrepresented communities. Even if you are not 100% sure you are right for the role, please apply and we will be happy to consider your application. All employment is based on merit and business need, and we respond to each application we receive.