Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an urban innovation company that tackles cities' greatest challenges. We create products and solutions, invest in new companies, and help developers build more sustainable, innovative, and equitable places around the world. Our ambitious vision requires us to push ourselves beyond conventional thinking, and we work hard in pursuit of our mission. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
Our urban innovations include Delve (a generative design product that empowers real estate teams to design better, faster, with less risk), Mesa (an easy-install kit for commercial buildings that cuts energy costs, improves tenant comfort, and simplifies building operations), Pebble (a low-cost vehicle sensor to help manage parking and curb space), and Affordable Electrification (a new way to manage home energy use to meet a customer’s monthly budget). We're also developing an offsite construction company that can deliver high-quality mass timber buildings for more sustainable living and working.
With the potential to radically improve quality of life in cities for all, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
You will be a key member of Sidewalk Labs’ product team, working on Affordable Electrification (AE), an early-stage product for utilities to keep energy costs low and predictable for residential customers today and throughout our global transition from fossil fuels to clean energy. The product includes a software platform with mobile apps and integrations with hardware and utility systems.
You will support and champion user-centered design and lead the creation of experiences that are simple and intuitive. You will work across all aspects of the product design cycle, including user research, wireframing/ prototyping, visual design, service design and marketing. You are coming in at the beginning, so you will have the opportunity to develop the user and customer insights that our product is built upon.
You will be a part of AE’s trifecta of Product Management, Engineering and Design/UX, all of whom report into the head of AE. You will also be a part of Sidewalk’s larger community of product Design and UX Research professionals, all of whom collaborate for inspiration, feedback and learning.
What you have to achieve?
- Within your first month, you will understand the vision of AE and have a good understanding of what has and hasn’t worked about the design work produced to date. You’ll immerse yourself in our customer and user research to date, and gain empathy for the problems of both energy utility operators and residential energy consumers. You’ll begin developing sketches of the user experience and necessary user touch points. You will have developed a 3-month plan of the priority decisions, collateral and research that needs to be undertaken toward developing a Version 1 product.
- By the end of month three, you will have developed early collateral describing the brand of AE for customers, residents, and investors.. You will have wireframes to chart the user journey and AE resident interface. With a PM, you will have crafted the plan for UX research that answers key questions about how we’ve solved for pain points in the journey. You will have also started working hand in hand with Engineering to best scope and plan for implementation of an early prototype.
What we expect:
- Putting users first
- You have 5+ years of experience in product organizations, in a UX/Product Design, Experience Design, or Interaction Design role. Bonus points for product experience specifically in pre-seed/seed/series A ventures and enterprise/B2B experience.
- You have a degree in Human-Computer Interaction, Design, or other UX-equivalent experience.
- You have studied universal design principles, and are deeply committed to building products that are accessible and appealing to all members of our communities, most especially those who have historically been marginalized.
- Ability to execute with design excellence
- You have a strong base in design process and execution, including a specialty in either visual design, design research, interaction design, and/or software development. Please share your portfolio with us.
- You can judge and execute at the appropriate level of fidelity, from paper sketches to refined mocks for production.
- You know your tools (e.g. Figma, Adobe CS, HTML/CSS) and are ready to adopt new ones.
- You have worked across physical and digital products–for example experience with hardware, services, packaging, and environments.
- Bonus points: Experience building brands from the ground up, and creating brand identities and marketing materials necessary to validate new business concepts.
- Bias towards action
- Ability to scope and lead end-to-end user research process, from concept ideation and boundary concept creation, to managing research ops logistics with support from our other teams.
- Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you find the fastest path to gain traction and begin executing.
- You develop insights quickly that you can synthesize and communicate through a diverse set of tools (storyboards, wireframes, visuals, other media etc.)
- You take initiative and are adept with changing priorities and quick turnarounds to launch products for customers.
- You thrive on thinking and acting like an owner, and are excited by startup environments.
- Solve problems, together
- You can articulate the product’s vision in a compelling manner, as well as the rationale and tradeoffs behind design decisions. Through journey mapping, you surface key moments in the experience that inform what to build next.
- You embrace the intellectual challenge of constantly reacting to and synthesizing new ideas related to the future of urban experience and technology.
- You ask hard questions and challenge assumptions to ensure that we’re solving the right problems.
We are very excited to hear from you.
Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from underrepresented communities. Even if you are not 100% sure you are right for the role, please apply and we will be happy to consider your application. All employment is based on merit and business need, and we respond to each application we receive.