Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an urban innovation company that tackles cities' greatest challenges. We create products and solutions, invest in new companies, and help developers build more sustainable, innovative, and equitable places around the world. Our ambitious vision requires us to push ourselves beyond conventional thinking, and we work hard in pursuit of our mission. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
Our urban innovations include Delve (a generative design product that empowers real estate teams to design better, faster, with less risk), Mesa (an easy-install kit for commercial buildings that cuts energy costs, improves tenant comfort, and simplifies building operations), Pebble (a low-cost vehicle sensor to help manage parking and curb space), and Affordable Electrification (a new way to manage home energy use to meet a customer’s monthly budget). We're also developing an offsite construction company that can deliver high-quality mass timber buildings for more sustainable living and working.
With the potential to radically improve quality of life in cities for all, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is this role?
We are looking for an Associate Director of Product Marketing to create and manage the marketing program for Mesa, our affordable energy-saving offering for commercial real estate. Mesa is in a highly promising stage of growth, with a budding portfolio of clients, including real estate owners, operators, and tenants who are leveraging the technology to enhance energy savings at their properties. Commercial buildings make up a big share of carbon emissions and face increasingly tough energy regulations. They’ve lacked an affordable, easy-to-install solution — until now.
In this role, you will work for the Mesa product business and report directly to Sidewalk’s Head of Marketing. You will be an integral part of Sidewalk’s Policy, Communications, and Marketing team. Day-to-day, you will work with the Mesa Sales and Business Development team to develop every facet of the product marketing journey, from positioning to competitive analysis to shaping the product’s voice and generating a loyal user base (real estate owners, operators, and tenants).
You will work cross-functionally to announce product updates, launch and optimize demand generation campaigns, sponsor and manage virtual and in-person events, and drive engagement with prospects and clients.
You are an experienced disruptive technology product marketer who will evangelize the vision and practical value of Mesa and drive adoption and performance for a portfolio that will include some of the most recognized names in real estate. Your strongest attributes are customer/user advocacy, sales enablement, and operational excellence.
Ideally, you will have:
- 5+ years of product marketing experience in a tech environment ($20M+ ARR startup tech company experience is a plus)
- Metrics and insights-driven go-to-market strategy experience
- Management of campaign planning, optimization, and reporting, and budgets using tools such as Salesforce, Pardot, Google Analytics, etc.
- Comfort with multiple marketing channels, including but not limited to search, social media, advertising, partnerships, etc.
- Sales cycle management with ability to enable various parts of the product sales process with content, creative, and measurement
- Storytelling ability, creating clear value propositions and effective sales-oriented marketing communications
- Ability to serve as the external evangelist for product offerings, supporting growth with presentations and demos for the direct and indirect sales channels
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to derive strategic insights from market research and data
More on Mesa:
Mesa is a Sidewalk Labs product to help commercial building owners, tenants, and managers cut wasted energy and manage their spaces remotely. Plus, it has tenant comfort at its core. One of Mesa’s key differentiators is super easy and quick installation, avoiding unnecessary labor and commissioning fees. A few links to learn more: explainer video, blog post, press release with Hines.
What You Will Achieve
After 1 month you will have
- Refined value proposition, channels, and buyer personas, and developed ideas on how to leverage owned, earned, and paid media channels
- Reviewed and expanded on the existing marketing strategy and tactics, including infrastructure, freelance marketing resources, and results from campaigns (including paid social media ads, email marketing, webinars, and conference exhibitions)
- Ran multi-channel campaigns end-to-end including messaging, targeting, reporting
- Drafted sales enablement content and market-ready materials such as pitch decks, battle cards, solution overviews, collaborating with colleagues in Policy, Communications, Product, and Design, as applicable
- Evaluated the 2022 marketing plan, supporting Mesa’s expansion and revenue goals
After 3 months you will have
- Experimented, ran, and improved on end-to-end campaigns across channels
- Improved our internal processes to deploy campaigns, including campaign briefings, stakeholder alignment, and reporting standards
- Identified and secured marketing partnerships for joint campaigns and client stories, where appropriate
- Built sales enablement content library and fostered brand ambassadorship within product business
- Reported on demand generation progress and created OKRs aligned to product business goals
After 6 months you will have
- Advanced marketing campaigns at each stage of the funnel
- Collaborated with the Mesa Sales Team to reach new geographic markets
- Become adept with growth terminology and communication, i.e. TCV (total contract value) and CAC (customer acquisition costs)
- Committed to ownership of annual marketing plans, tactics, budget, and external resource management
After 12 months you will have
- Solidified the demand generation mechanisms, tested and confirmed the full buyer’s journey
- Collaborated with Mesa’s Project Management and Sales teams to develop and deploy a customer retention program
What We Expect
Subject matter expertise
- You have a background in B2B Marketing for early-stage products. You should be able to quickly develop a deep understanding of our B2B buyer, and formulate strategies that attract and convert them.
- You have experience with paid and organic strategies for digital channels (Facebook, LinkedIn, Instagram, Youtube, and Google’s ad properties) as well as experience with offline channels (conference exhibition, direct mail, and print materials)
- Bonus if you worked in selling within real estate, proptech, and especially commercial real estate.
- You have a demonstrated ability to work well with others.
- You’re able to motivate people to get the job done.
- You take initiative and loop in the right stakeholders to execute well.
- You’re excited to be part of a team and work together.
- You are committed to creating more equitable and inclusive outcomes both in the workplace and in the work you do.
- You’re able to fluidly analyze underlying logic, question arguments, and weigh multiple perspectives.
- You have strong written, verbal, and presentation skills. You’re able to produce high-quality materials in a variety of formats for internal and external audiences. This role includes content creation, from blog posts to emails to webinars to ad copy.
- You can work at two levels. In this role you will own and execute on both high level strategy and detailed execution. All of it is crucial to deliver on our vision and mission. We expect you to have a roll-up-your-sleeves-and-dive-in attitude all the time. This is a startup: your scope will change and stretch, and you’re happy to roll with the punches.
We are very excited to hear from you.
Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from underrepresented communities. Even if you are not 100% sure you are right for the role, please apply and we will be happy to consider your application. All employment is based on merit and business need, and we respond to each application we receive.