Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an urban innovation company that tackles cities' greatest challenges. We create products and solutions, invest in new companies, and help developers build more sustainable, innovative, and equitable places around the world. Our ambitious vision requires us to push ourselves beyond conventional thinking, and we work hard in pursuit of our mission. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
Our urban innovations include Delve (a generative design product that empowers real estate teams to design better, faster, with less risk), Mesa (an easy-install kit for commercial buildings that cuts energy costs, improves tenant comfort, and simplifies building operations), Pebble (a low-cost vehicle sensor to help manage parking and curb space), and Affordable Electrification (a new way to manage home energy use to meet a customer’s monthly budget). We're also developing an offsite construction company that can deliver high-quality mass timber buildings for more sustainable living and working.
With the potential to radically improve quality of life in cities for all, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
In your role as a Product Manager, you will be a key member of Sidewalk’s Mesa team, an affordable-by-design hardware and software product with a power optimization backend. In dense cities, like New York, buildings account for roughly 70 percent of greenhouse gas emissions, and commercial buildings have an outsized proportion of those emissions. Enter Mesa, the solution for budget-constrained buildings to become greener, cut costs, increase smarts, and provide tenants with a better experience. For more information on Mesa, please see this video and the launch blog post.
This role involves end-to-end product management. Everything from the “glamorous” side of product management, to the roll-up-your-sleeves side, to the team-player and hustle side. Your work will involve deeply understanding market trends, competitors, and customers in the smart building and energy management space, setting goals and OKRs for the team, developing product roadmaps, establishing structures and frameworks for decision making, implementing and iterating on product development processes -- everything from the strategic work to the tickets and content creation, dealing with many moving pieces and people (customers, engineers, designers, and other team members), and helping build an excellent product and scalable business.
You will lead the product roadmap, and develop deep partnerships with our engineering, design, and sales teams to deliver products to change the trajectory of climate change. You will work with the overall business leads to help set the direction and implement the processes to secure and scale product market fit.
Note: We are currently working remotely, and we expect to eventually re-open our offices when it is safe to return. After re-opening, candidates will be expected to come into the New York office.
What you have to achieve:
In your first month, you will:
- Build strong relationships with your team and the broader team at Sidewalk Labs and understand the dynamics of the organization and how to get things done effectively.
- Deeply understand the product and the future potential.
- Guide the process to launch at least one new feature with end-to-end management.
- Create a set of goals for yourself, aligned around business needs. You will deliver on one new feature, component, or business need.
Within the first three months, you will:
- Create and update product OKRs, and collaborate with engineering and design to the refresh of the quarterly product roadmap.
- Support the sales and marketing team to iterate on their product pitch.
- Know the competition and industry well.
Beyond three months, you will:
- Give a customer pitch, and lead a customer engagement event
- Update offline engagement roadmap and tactics.
- Own and run OKRs, roadmpaning, and end-to-end product ideation and launch processes, considering both online and offline experiences.
What we expect :
- Know your Product Management.
- You have a strong background in product management for software and/or hardware teams.
- You have an extensive track record shipping world-class products, ideally across multiple domains from concept to launch.
- You have strong product intuition and know how to balance the creative, practical, and analytical.
- You have a deep understanding of the product development process, including defining a product strategy and roadmap, delivering MRDs/PRDs with prioritized features, user research, and delivering products and features on time and budget.
- Be obsessed with user needs.
- Your product discovery process is deeply rooted in observing user needs and creatively solving problems to improve people’s lives.
- Your product strategies are driven by market demand and business cases, data and user research interviews, surveys, and observational methodologies.
- Have a market and business focused mindset.
- You become an expert with respect to the competition. You develop core positioning and messaging for the product, perform product demos, and train and brief the sales team.
- You can work with other product, business, and sales leads to set pricing to meet revenue and profitability goals, deliver forecasts, develop sales tools and collateral, and propose overall budgets to ensure success.
- Be a strong, collaborative leader.
- You have a strong ability to develop focused missions and inspire teams to execute.
- You are a strong, organized process leader, and an exceptional communicator.
- You work closely and collaboratively with other project domains (product, software, design and business development) in a way that aligns goals and expectations across the business unit.
- Your teams and reports hold you in highest regard since you drive teams to deliver their best work, and care about the individuals.
- Have a bias towards action.
- Once you’ve sketched out an idea, you find the fastest path to a prototype to prove the concept.
- Be creative: You’ll come up with new ideas based on your broad understanding of user needs, technological possibilities and city domain knowledge.
- Bring heart to everything you do.
- Care about cities, solving hard problems and our team and its success.
We are very excited to hear from you.
Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from underrepresented communities. Even if you are not 100% sure you are right for the role, please apply and we will be happy to consider your application. All employment is based on merit and business need, and we respond to each application we receive.