Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an urban innovation company that tackles cities' greatest challenges. We create products and solutions, invest in new companies, and help developers build more sustainable, innovative, and equitable places around the world. Our ambitious vision requires us to push ourselves beyond conventional thinking, and we work hard in pursuit of our mission. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
Our urban innovations include Delve (a generative design product that empowers real estate teams to design better, faster, with less risk), Mesa (an easy-install kit for commercial buildings that cuts energy costs, improves tenant comfort, and simplifies building operations), Pebble (a low-cost vehicle sensor to help manage parking and curb space), and Affordable Electrification (a new way to manage home energy use to meet a customer’s monthly budget). We're also developing an offsite construction company that can deliver high-quality mass timber buildings for more sustainable living and working.
With the potential to radically improve quality of life in cities for all, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
We are looking for an Associate Director, People to join our team, reporting to our Head of People. You will join a People Operations team of five at a pivotal time in the organization’s growth and history. You will be backfilling Pam, who has moved over to lead Talent Acquisition. This role has evolved as the structure of our organization has changed, and we believe it’s an exciting opportunity for a mid-level People Operations professional who wants to support multiple product businesses as they grow.
The focus of this role is acting as a People Partner (HRBP) to the President of Sidewalk Urban Products and his direct reports, who lead operating companies or “OpCos” (Delve, Mesa, Pebble, Affordable Electrification) and other business incubations. Each operating company is building a unique product across technology and the built environment. What these teams need is a full employee lifecycle business partner, who can act as a strategic advisor, an executive coach and culture builder.
While most of the foundations of People Operations are in place (performance reviews, compensation, benefits, etc), you will be part of thinking through how each operating company defines and evolves their people strategy to achieve business success. You’ll be their first point of contact when it comes to all things people & culture: learning & development; organizational structure; promotions & career pathing; equity, inclusion & diversity; performance management, compensation decisions, etc.
This is a real growth opportunity to make an impact in a unique organization, dense with diverse talent.
What you will achieve:
Within your first 3 months you will:
- Build strong partnerships with President of Sidewalk Urban Products and his direct reports who lead Delve, Mesa, Pebble, Affordable Electrification and incubations
- Lead performance management and employee relations engagements with OpCo leaders and managers
- Align your quarterly OKRs/priorities priorities with the unique needs of each OpCo head/co-head
Within your first 6 months you will:
- Lead talent reviews and promotion process with each OpCo head/co-head
- Lead efforts to improve key areas of our annual employee engagement survey
- Support 2022 headcount planning and organizational design with each of the OpCos
After 12 months you will:
- Be seen as a trusted partner to the employees under each OpCo (Delve, Pebble, Mesa, AE, incubations)
- Be seen as a thought-leader who brings best in class People Operations and culture practices
- Have supported the growth of each OpCo and positively impacted their engagement and retention strategies
- Have championed equity, inclusion and diversity (EID) practices within each OpCo based on their maturity and representation
- Provide input on a business partner/people partner model for 2022 and beyond
What we expect:
We’re looking for a People Operations professional with probably 5+ years of relevant work experience. People partner/business partner experience is important in this role. Experience working in tech and/or startups is a plus. To thrive on this journey with us, you will need to bring interest in our work and have examples for the below:
- Influencing for impact: Quickly emerges as a trusted partner and empowered member of the People Operations team. Must be comfortable working with operating company leaders to solve problems and craft policies that can serve diverse businesses. Must understand the business strategy and operational needs in order to build the most appropriate HR solutions. Has the spine, influence and communication skills to push back when necessary. Acts as a cultural ambassador at all times and is able to work independently.
- Action-oriented: Has a strong sense of urgency - balancing speed with detail orientation. Is not fazed by a chaotic, dynamic office/hybrid environment where they are interrupted often for urgent business issues or employee concerns. Has implemented new programs & tools under short timelines. Enjoys being an individual contributor who rolls up their sleeves to build, implement, track and measure HR solutions. Can juggle short-term requests (from employees, managers and the President) with individual priorities and goals.
- Collaboration: Can quickly build credibility and respect across the OpCos and incubations team. Collaborates closely with the People Operations team to build a positive workplace environment and contributes to other relevant workstreams. Understands the value and impact of partnering with finance, legal, and other internal stakeholders. Mentors and coaches People Operations peers who are earlier in their careers.
- Commitment to Equity, Inclusion & Diversity (EID): Is committed to creating workplace culture, policies, and structures that create more equitable outcomes. Advocates for employees who come from underrepresented and underestimated identities. Proactively seeks feedback and best practices on how to improve. Demonstrates empathy.
We are very excited to hear from you.
Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from underrepresented communities. Even if you are not 100% sure you are right for the role, please apply and we will be happy to consider your application. All employment is based on merit and business need, and we respond to each application we receive.