Who are we?
Sidewalk Labs is an urban innovation company that tackles cities' greatest challenges. We create products and solutions, invest in new companies, and help developers build more sustainable, innovative, and equitable places around the world. Our ambitious vision requires us to push ourselves beyond conventional thinking, and we work hard in pursuit of our mission. Our cross-disciplinary team consists of experts from real estate, urban planning, government, finance, technology, and engineering, among other backgrounds.
Our urban innovations include Delve (a generative design product that empowers real estate teams to design better, faster, with less risk), Mesa (an easy-install kit for commercial buildings that cuts energy costs, improves tenant comfort, and simplifies building operations), Pebble (a low-cost vehicle sensor to help manage parking and curb space), and Affordable Electrification (a new way to manage home energy use to meet a customer’s monthly budget). We're also developing an offsite construction company that can deliver high-quality mass timber buildings for more sustainable living and working.
With the potential to radically improve quality of life in cities for all, our work is both exciting and complex. We are working to achieve something unprecedented — help us build it!
What is the role?
The Director of Talent Acquisition is responsible for the entire recruiting strategy and execution and reports into our Head of People, Davina Mazaroli. This role partners with Sidewalk’s leadership team to find and attract great talent and deliver on our Equity, Inclusion, and Diversity (EID) strategy. In the role, you will manage a team of four direct reports, and a total team of nine.
This role is an opportunity to lead and further develop a best practice-driven recruiting function that works as a true partner with the business. Your direct reports each partner with specific business teams through an embedded resourcing model (solid line reporting into you and dotted line reporting to a product team, e.g. Delve, Mesa, and Pebble). Each product team is building a unique product across technology and the built environment. What each product team needs is a strong pipeline of talent to help them scale. As these products mature, they increasingly gain autonomy, build their own culture, and ultimately operations, including eventually their own, dedicated Talent team.
Today’s Talent team is transitioning from “high variety” recruiting and unique roles to high growth/scale and replicability. We expect to make a significant number of hires per year across technology, real estate/urban planning, and corporate services, but the emphasis is on technical talent (Software Engineers, Hardware Engineers, Product Managers, Computational Designers and UX Designers). With ambitious growth targets, at any given moment, you are likely to be running a few searches yourself.
We’ve built a strong foundation of practices, and are looking for someone to evolve our employer brand, build out recruiting analytics, drive our sourcing efforts and streamline recruiting process management.
If you are looking for an experience as a strategic partner, who drives the diversity and representation within our organization and remains a hands-on builder of a hiring machine, you might love this role.
What You Will Achieve
After 3 months you will...
- ...have wrapped your head around Sidewalk: your team, our various businesses, our business strategy and EID strategy, the talent function, and built relationships with your partners and stakeholders.
- ...have articulated a clear talent attraction and recruiting strategy based on your team’s input and your analysis of strengths and opportunities.
- ...have taken the lead on a few critical hires, both to learn and to contribute.
After 6 months you will...
- ...have built strong relationships with your team, who see you both as their leader and champion.
- ...have evaluated the current tools and technology that we use and determined what changes or new tools need to be implemented to drive hiring goals in 2022.
- ...have delivered on the 2021 hiring plan and EID OKRs and helped set 2022 objectives, working with the Finance team on the annual hiring plan.
- ...have been working with the Director of Business Optimization on a smoother Greenhouse <> HRIS integration
- ...have earned respect as a trusted, collaborative yet effective problem-solver within the company: others come to you early to get advice and get things done.
After 12 months you will...
- ...run an exemplary Talent function in which your team are close partners to their business teams, yet work with consistent principles and quality standards.
- ...have upskilled hiring managers’ skills across the different operating companies.
What We Expect
Deep Talent and leadership capabilities, backed by 10+ years of experience
- You know how to manage through growth: where you can compromise, and where you need to get it exactly right to scale well;
- You have experience driving talent attraction and recruiting during a moment of company transformation;
- You have experience in tech recruiting but also have had some experience across industries and/or functions;
- You bring a deep understanding of recruiting best practices and particularly recruiting assessment models and tools.
Passion and expertise in EID
- You are committed to creating more equitable and inclusive outcomes — and are passionate about sourcing and attracting diverse talent.
- You have experience building a practice of equity and inclusion within the talent acquisition function. You can point to clear results where your efforts lead to an increase in representation within the business.
- You have a strong internal compass and are willing and able to effectively champion a candidate in the face of resistance.
Strong leadership capabilities and experience developing others
- You are a strong manager of others, so much so that you inspire followership. You have experience managing a team of individual recruiters who can grow to become great managers themselves.
- You recognize where urgency or change is needed, and can drive to an outcome quickly without sacrificing quality or long-term partnerships.
You are a great collaborator and communicator
- You are able to establish strong relationships with business leaders — you use your judgment wisely in determining when to push for internal process consistency vs. allowing businesses to customize their recruiting needs and approaches.
- You communicate clearly and succinctly and understand how to sell things (new recruiting approaches) internally to stakeholders across the business.
We are very excited to hear from you.
Sidewalk Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer. We actively seek applicants from underrepresented communities. Even if you are not 100% sure you are right for the role, please apply and we will be happy to consider your application. All employment is based on merit and business need, and we respond to each application we receive.